Backup job failed to start

colbycolby Posts: 30
edited April 29, 2008 10:18PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Need help.

Redgate 5.3 was used to set up jobs to perform hourly transactional backups on many servers. Worked great for weeks with no problems. When I came in from the weekend to check on progress, none of the hourly jobs on 3 servers were shown on the Redgate GUI. I could not tell if they failed or what happened!! I finally found that the Saturday midnight hourly backups was still running (I am checking Monday morning). None of the hourly transactional jobs ran for 1 1/2 days!.

1) Does the Redgate monitor know when jobs run so if it does not run I can be alerted?

2) Can I change the SQL job to alert me if the job does not start?

3) I tried killing the SPID in the job to to sucess on 2 servers but the SPID is shown to be rollback -- for 6 hours. What can I do to kill the job start the hourly transactional? What are my options to start the backup hourly transactional log.

Thanks

Colby

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    1) Does the Redgate monitor know when jobs run so if it does not run I can be alerted?
    No.
    2) Can I change the SQL job to alert me if the job does not start?
    No. The issue was not because the job did not start, but because the previous job did not end.
    3) I tried killing the SPID in the job to to sucess on 2 servers but the SPID is shown to be rollback -- for 6 hours. What can I do to kill the job start the hourly transactional? What are my options to start the backup hourly transactional log.
    It's strange that killing a backup job should result in a rollback. Could you please run the following command on the affected servers, and send me the SQBCoreService_bugreport.txt file that is generated in the folder where the SQL Backup Agent service (SQBCoreService.exe) is installed?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8