3.8 Pro

MikeONeillMikeONeill Posts: 131
edited April 29, 2008 9:48AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hi

I have downloaded the final version of 3.8 , once installed , it has defaulted to Standard Version

My understanding was that as a license holder for both SQL Prompt and SQL Refactor , I would be upgradable to the Pro Version

How do I arrange this is it a new License Key , or a separate download ?

Cheers

Mike

Comments

• Hi Mike,

Please contact sales@red-gate.com to get this sorted.

Thanks,
    Tanya
  • I had 3.8 RC installed (forgot what version, or trial?)

Installed 3.8 by using "Check Update"
    it defaults to Standard version as well as I noticed the "Layout" item greyed out

Activated it again using my Toolbelt key, and it is Pro version now
    Jerry Hung
    DBA, MCITP
  • MikeyCMikeyC Posts: 249 Bronze 3
    Thanks, I didn't realize that I would need to re-activate to get the Pro features enabled. A side effect is that it de-activated SQL Dependency Tracker, which was included in the bundle we purchased. (It did add SQL Data Generator though.)

Michael
  • I must be a little slow this morning, but I can't seem to find anything on red-gate's site that lists the differences between pro and standard.

I'm told I can upgrade to pro, but I haven't found a reason as to "why" I would want to.

Could someone point me in the right direction please? :)
  • Hi,

The difference between the Pro and the Standard edition is that the v3.8 Pro edition includes Layout functionality.

Thanks,
    Tanya
  • Thank Tanya, is there a better description of what this layout functionality provides?

Thanks.
  • Hi,

This Help page describes the Layout functionality:

http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... c31125.htm

I'd strongly recommend you evaluated it yourself.

Regards

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • How is this different from what SQL Refactor does?
  • Hi,

The difference is that Layout will now work in editors like VS, SSMSE and QA apart from MS Management Studio.
    The layout options from SQL Prompt gives you 'lowercasing keywords' option that was a popular request from some of our SQL Refactor users.
    Additionally, we fixed some hangs reported by SQL Refactor users in the layout functionality.

Thanks,
    Tanya
  • So this is basically a replacement for SQL Refactor?
  • Hello,

I wouldn't call this as a replacement of SQL Refactor as SQL Refactor offers other functionalities like 'Smart Rename', 'Summarize Script', 'Encapsulate as new stored procedure', etc. that isn’t available in SQL Prompt. I would say the only common thing between SQL Refactor and SQL Prompt is the layout functionality as of now.

Thanks,
    Tanya
  • New features are always welcome, but you guys are certainly creating a significant amount of product confusing, especially considering you sell prompt and refactor in a bundle...
  • SQL Refactor hangs up my SSMS, so I have uninstalled it and am happy with SQL Prompt 3.8 (all I need is Layout function really)

I agree they share a similar path though, and SQL Refactor hasn't been updated in a while
    Jerry Hung
    DBA, MCITP