3.8 RC capitalizes reserved keywords inside string literals

shadowbobshadowbob Posts: 71 Bronze 2
edited August 31, 2008 10:25PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
When typing a string literal, Prompt 3.8 RC likes to capitalize reserved keywords if I have that option enabled. For example, typing:

'Measurement Type

Followed by a space (which is NOT set to a completion key, by the way), results in:

'Measurement TYPE

Auto keyword capitalization shouldn't occur inside string literals (in fact, nothing should).
Jeremy Fuller
VP, Software Development
Organizational Intelligence, Inc.

Comments

• I can't seem reproduce this issue. Could you give me an example where you are always able to reproduce this.

I've tried, for example, writing various statements with strings and I can't produce this issue e.g.

SELECT * FROM [dbo].[test] WHERE [words] LIKE 'select type join

This doesn't uppercase any of the keywords.
  • shadowbobshadowbob Posts: 71 Bronze 2
    I can't repro it with a simple query either. The query that's doing it is extremely long (over 1000 lines) and references my large database schema. It might be worthwhile for me to send you the schema (using Packager) and this query, since it illustrates many of the issues I've been posting. Let me know if this is something you want me to do (and how to go about it).
    Jeremy Fuller
    VP, Software Development
  • Seems only to happen if the String is outside of a sql statement

Open a new query window type 'Measurement Type' and you get caps TYPE

now type

SELECT * FROM BBT WHERE BBTCode ='Meaurement Type' and you get lower case

Type simply Meaurement Type again and still lower case.

I can only make it happen when its the first line of a clean window so far.
  • shadowbobshadowbob Posts: 71 Bronze 2
    I can definitely get it to happen inside a query as well. I have this 2800 line query that is causing all sorts of strange behavior. Joins don't always work, SELECT * doesn't always expand, brackets don't always appear around CTEs, keywords are capitalized inside strings, etc. Unfortunately, getting this exact scenario setup is quite involved. Note that the problems started appearing well before it got to 2800 lines, but that's irrelevant.
    Jeremy Fuller
    VP, Software Development
  • It would be good if you could send us the schema (using packager) and any reproducible details so that we can try and recreate this in house. If you're able to do this could you send the information to support@red-gate.com? Once we receive the information we'll raise a support call for you and look into it.
  • I'm encountering this problem in v3.9 of SQL Prompt Pro in SQL Query Analyzer. In my case, I am working on a script that contains the CREATE TABLE statement, followed by some INSERT statements to populate the new table. I have to remember to press Esc to clear the completion list before pressing space otherwise the case is changed for me. It would be nice if the completion/case-change operation was included in the undo list, so that I could just use Ctrl-Z to fix it up, but instead that undoes a whole lot of my typing. Ideally, the case change wouldn't happen at all when typing inside a string literal.