SQL Prompt 3.8.0.24

bill.wehnertbill.wehnert Posts: 27
edited April 17, 2008 9:29AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
One of my suggestions/requests for a feature in SQL Prompt was that when I hover over a sproc/view/table/etc that I would be able to get a look at the makeup of that object.

Was I ever surprised when today I was actually paying attention and poof - there was my little tool tip with a link to the object. Clicking it brought up a window with the DDL of my table, or the text of my sproc.

That made my day. It was one thing I liked about Apex SQL, but thought was missing from SQL Prompt.

WOO HOO for Red-Gate!

Comments

• shadowbobshadowbob Posts: 71 Bronze 2
    I have to say that this was also the feature that blew my mind when I installed 3.8 RC. It's awesome -- I use it all the time. I also highly enjoy the improved INSERT functionality (in particular, I love that you now don't include the primary surrogate key in the INSERT -- woohoo!)

Red Gate's SQL Toolbelt literally paid for itself within a week in recouped labor. It's not even funny how productive this stuff makes me.

--

I was wondering something (off-topic, sorry). If SQL Prompt can't quite understand my query up to this point -- maybe I've put an extra = sign in, or put the JOIN after the WHERE on accident -- currently it starts to just behave strangely. I usually notice that it's behaving badly (like not giving me intellisense that I expect) and I go back to figure out what was wrong with my query. What would be really cool is if Prompt could actually indicate to me that there's a problem with my syntax and that it can't understand me. Maybe that's problematic, but just a little red flag would help me stop wasting time and go back to fix the query so I can keep getting intellisense properly.
    Jeremy Fuller
    VP, Software Development
    Organizational Intelligence, Inc.
  • Hi,

I am glad that you both liked the object definition feature that we introduced in v3.8 :)

And yeah, the current SQL Prompt parser gives valid intellisense only when the SQL syntax in the query window is complete and devoid of any errors. But flagging the errors is a great suggestion. I have logged this as an enhancement request that we will review and probably implement for our future versions.

Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.

Regards,
    Tanya
  • tanya wrote:
    Hi,

I am glad that you both liked the object definition feature that we introduced in v3.8 :)

And yeah, the current SQL Prompt parser gives valid intellisense only when the SQL syntax in the query window is complete and devoid of any errors. But flagging the errors is a great suggestion. I have logged this as an enhancement request that we will review and probably implement for our future versions.

Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.

Regards,
    Tanya

You guys could do what SSMS 2008 does, red underline the incorrect syntax error, just like a spell checker

I noticed these when I used SSMS 2008 yesterday, but its IntelliSense isn't near SQL Prompt of course
    Jerry Hung
    DBA, MCITP
  • Hi Jerry,

The trouble is we would eventually support SSMS 2008 as well and I don't think users who use SSMS 2008 will find it particularly helpful if we use the same 'red underlines' as that could get confusing/annoying. We need to find a consistent way to notify users of these errors across all SQL Prompt supported editors. Maybe some sort of red flagging like those flags in Outlook or something entirely different! I think our usability team will have some interesting solutions for this though:)

Thanks,
    Tanya