how to gracefully recover from a log file copy failure?

willow_techiewillow_techie Posts: 14
edited April 4, 2008 6:58AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Wanted some input from the sql-backup community --

We currently log ship from many remote locations (via private T1s) to a central location. Sometimes, copying the log file from the remote location fails because of a T1 hiccup or some other minor occurence. When the next copy and restore happens, it of course throws an error because the LSNs are out of sequence.

Right now I just copy manually and all is good again, but is there a better automated way to grab the missing log file?

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Try the CopyTool utility, downloadable here.

## This is not an official Red Gate tool, just something I threw together. No warranties are expressed or implied here.

CopyTool copies files from a source folder to a target folder. It stores names of files it has already copied to a file, and skips copying those files again when it next runs.

If you decide to use this utility, you will need to remove the COPYTO option from the SQL Backup BACKUP command, and schedule this utility to run periodically.

Advantages:
    - allows the backup process to return immediately after the backup
    - given a reliable connection, all files will eventually be copied to the remote location
    - provides email notifications on copy failures

Disadvantages:
    - this is not a supported tool, and you use this tool at your own risk. No warranties are expressed or implied.

Feedback welcomed.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • thanks, I'll check this out!
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    There's now a FTPTool too. Same caveats apply.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • This would be a great log shipping feature enhancement.
  • astreet wrote:
    This would be a great log shipping feature enhancement.
    This is something we're considering for a future release. It would be interesting to know other people's opinions on this -- please feel free to post here, or email me directly.

Best regards,

Colin.