Options

Memory Profiling Crash

I just purchased version 3.x of the software and attempted my first memory profile. Performance profiling seems to works well (which is what I tried throughout my evaluation). Whenever I click "Get Snapshot" the disk churns for awhile and then my application crashes which then causes ANTS to throw out whatever data it has collected because my app terminated abnormally.

It looks remarkably similar to this problem reported some time ago.
http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... php?t=4721

The application is compiled against 2.0 of the framework and I'm profiling on Vista. Let me know if there is any other information that you feel is relevant.

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

What is the exception generated by the 'crash'? We may have a patch available to fix the problem.
  • Options
    There is no exception, my application crashes.
    Hello,

What is the exception generated by the 'crash'? We may have a patch available to fix the problem.
  • Options
    Hvae you checked your application event logs? The exception would be logged with a source of .NET runtime and may say something about an 'AccessViolationException' or an 'InvalidProgramException'. These are the two types of exceptions for which patches to ANTS Profiler are available.
  • Options
    There is nothing in the event log. I can simply start my application via memory profiler and shut down my app and it still claims that the app was shutdown abnormally and gathers no information.

Again, I'm having no problems w/ performance profiling.
  • Options
    Actually, I may have a clue. The Take Snapshot will cause my application to crash in the memory profiler AFTER my application has created and torn down its own appdomain. If I don't create an app domain it seems to work all right. Do you have a fix for this?
  • Options
    Hi Bill,

You may be onto something there. An AppDomain.Unload may cause .NET 2.0's so-called critical finalizer to kill the pipe connection between your application and ANTS Profiler. There is no way for us to prevent this from happing if this is the problem unless we can stop the finalizer thread from closing the named pipe.

There is a knowledge base page about this -- although it specifically relates to performance profiling, it may also be relevant to you.