error code 126

EliBertEliBert Posts: 16
edited March 14, 2008 11:12AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hi!

I'm currently using a batch file for compare + data compare with success.
Now i want to use the same code as a shell execture in a webservice but now i get following error: 126
When i look into the details of the generated output file i see my sql login fails ("login failed for user x").

Anyone got an idea how that's possible?
Thanks

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

I think you may have run into a situation reported by one of our API users that affects Windows security on web applications if you rely on impersonation. If you use impersonation in your web application (you can set this in web.config), then the security is not inherited by SQL Compare because IIS will not allow the credentials to get passed down to one of SQL Compare's asynchronous delegate functions.

To make a long story short, SQL Compare is pretty much incompatible with web applications that use identity impersonate -- the only solution is to turn impersonation off and use the security identity provided by your application pool, or configure sqlcompare.exe to use SQL authentication.

If this is not the problem, please let me know.
  • Hi Brian,

can you please review my question because i meant windows service instead of a webservice.

I hope you still have time to answer
    Thanks!
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    I'm afraid I don't have an answer in the case of trying to run sqlcompare.exe through a Windows Service. I'd suspect there could be an issue caused by the minimal profile created by a log on as a service. Maybe the problem could be solved by allowing the service to interact with the desktop?