edited March 13, 2008 1:33PM in SQL Packager Previous Versions
this occurs during the Generating SQL Scrip phase of the package

any help would be appreciated

thanks
BEN SCHWARTZ

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Ben,

Unfortunately there is no convenient answer for this, suffice to say something about the database is returning unexpected values. If it's a new database package against SQL Server 2005, perhaps using a sysadmin account to package it (SA, for instance) may help if the problem is caused by a schema that you don't have the rights to analyze.

You may also want to check your local application event logs to see if an error is logged by Packager. If you could get any additional information from the event logs, such as the stack trace, that would be useful in figuring out which part of Packager's code threw the error.
  • Bryan... thanks for the response..

1st i can tell you the redgate compare and redgate datacompare do not have problems creating the schema and then populating the data. Useing those products are work around.. so i can't believe it is the data/schema that is causing he problem

i can tell you it definitely being cause by a combination on the OPTIONS tab..

i have not narrowed it down to which specific option it is...yet as i have turned some off/on... and can actually create a package..

I need to go though the options 1 by 1 to narrow it down.. (it may of course be a combination of options)

i will let you know once i have a definitive option settings...Hopefully you can then use this additional data to investigate the problem.

it would also be better if the error message could be more substantial in terms of what in the "data" is actually causing this problem..when an error occurs there almost can never be too much information

thanks
    ben
    BEN SCHWARTZ
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Ben,

SQL Packager is based on an earlier version of the SQL schema and data comparison libraries, so it's entirely possible that SQL and Data Compare work, but Packager does not, because whatever logic is causing this has been corrected. Like I said, though, if there is an entry in the application event log, we can try to narrow down the individual function where the error occurs.