Request for very minor UI changes in data comp + sql comp

j.salmonj.salmon Posts: 44 Bronze 2
Respectfully requesting very minor UI changes in data comp. I use both tools religiously daily for various tasks, and use the keyboard exclusively for saved projects that basically just need to be run periodically.

Make the short cut keys the same in both tools. One example of mix matching buttons: when creating a new project in SQL Compare &New is used and in data compare Ne&w is used (there are other inconsistencies). This makes it easier on the user to just use the same short cuts between different compare apps using only the keyboard (and make the apps consistent in the process).

Before I get bashed - I know it's trivial. If you have the time, it'd be nice. If you don't, then life will go on.

Cheers,

Jon

Comments

• Hi Jon,

You're absolutely right. We are aware of certain 'inconsistencies' between our tools and will be addressing these going forward (unfortunately not in v6.11).

If you notice any others, please post them and we'll see what we can do!

Thanks,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • j.salmonj.salmon Posts: 44 Bronze 2
    In data compare, when using the server registration ALT+T controls to many options (the one to switch to tables and views doesn't work at all from the main 1st tab).

ALT+C copy from the same form does (Data Source tab)? It'll try to copy data to itself :)

When the user is in the Synch Wizard in either app (with the direction, backup, summary, confirm) popup, I think the following should occur:
    1. Escape key in all forms should = cancel (default for most windows apps).
    2. Enter should proceed to next part (equiv to Next button).

My 2 cents worth.
    Another GUI request.

When viewing the differences, it would be nice if there were short cut keys for Next difference and Previous difference. Currently, the only way to view the differences is by using the mouse and using the diff buttons.

Thanks!
  • You mean (for SQL Data Compare at least)

http://help.red-gate.com/help/SQLDataCo ... ences.html

A complete list ( which I think is in the documentation somewhere but I can't lay my hands on it right now is...)
    Up - Moves the selection to the previous grid row 
    Down - Moves the selection to the next grid row
    Left - Moves the grid column selection to the left
    Right - Moves the grid column selection to the right

Shift+Up - Adds the next line to the selection and moves there
    Shift+Down - Adds the previous line to the selection and moves there
    Shift+Left - Moves the column selection to the left without losing line selections
    Shift+Right - Moves the column selection to the right without losing line selections

Alt+Up - Up difference
    Alt+Down - Down difference
    Alt+Left - Left difference
    Alt+Right - Right difference

Crtl+Up - Moves the viewport up
    Ctrl+Down - Moves the viewport down
    Ctrl+Left - Moves the viewport left
    Ctrl+Right - Moves the viewport right

Home - viewport to beginning of line
    End - viewport to end of line

Ctrl+Home - Moves to the top left of the table
    Ctrl+End - Moved to the bottom left of the table

Ctrl+Shift+Home - Moves to the top left of the table and selects all intervening rows from the current selection
    Ctrl+Shift+End  - Moves to the bottom left of the table and selects all intervening rows from the current selection

Ctrl+A - Select all rows
    Ctrl+F – Find

Space – Checks or unchecks all selected rows include checkboxes

F6 or Ctrl-Tab - Changes windows from the summary view to the table view

Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    I was actually using SQL Compare, but the short cuts are the same. Thanks for the list - I did realized they worked there.
  • In SQL Data Compare, the filterbox could be a lot wider. Now I have to position the cursor too precisely, or otherwise I click the [x]. I find the filter very useful when selecting tables, especially if many tables have the same start of the name, like TestFooBarAbc and TestFooBarDef etc. Now I type "TestFooB", and see all these tables, but when I want to see TestFooC, I find that the X is too close to the text. Maybe the X and the dropdown arrow could be exchanged?
  • Hi,

Thanks for your comments. Can I ask whether you are referring to the Filter box in the main comparison screen, or in the Tables and Views tab in "Project Configuration"?

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • I meant the box in the Project Configuration, but I see both are of equal size. The box is really useful when there are hundreds of tables, many with almost equal names. It keeps you from making mistakes by selecting the wrong tables.

If the box is bigger, or if it is resizable, it would be easier to use.
  • Another UI change that would help me a lot (in Data Compare 6) would be to have a "Hide identical columns" option within the Row Differences grid.

We have a few tables that I need to compare that contain hundreds of columns (& where only a few of our columns get updated). In the compare results if I could filter out all the fields that havent changed, and only see only the stuff that had - that would be a good feature