System.OutOfMemoryException error

In running some compares between a couple of databases with SDC 6 (with latest update installed) it stops at the comparing databases step (after completion of mapping) and throws a 'Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown' error. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi,

I wonder if I could grab some more details - are you comparing two "live" databases, or are you comparing against a backup? Roughly what sort of scale are your databases - both in terms of the number of tables, and the amount of data in them?

In general we should be able to scale to arbitrarily large databases, but there's a couple of particularly nasty cases where that won't work (e.g. having individual rows with huge amounts of data in them).

Thanks,
    Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate
  • Sorry... another couple of quick questions!

- Could you tell me the version number if you go to Help -> About?
    - How much physical RAM do you have in the machine you're running Data Compare on?

Many thanks,
    Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate
  • stand by ...getting data..
  • Robert,

We're using SDC 6.1.1.308. Running it via a RDP session on a Windows Server Standard Ed SP2 server, 4 GB of ram, with a xeon 3.2 GHz processor.

The source and target databases are running on two VM sql server 2005 (no sp) boxes. The VM boxes are running Windows XP version 2002 SP2 with equivilant of xeon 2.66 processors and 900 MB of ram.

The databases are relatively small
    cadence 300.75 MB sa 7 Jul 27 2007 Status=ONLINE, Updateability=READ_WRITE, UserAccess=MULTI_USER, Recovery=SIMPLE, Version=611, Collation=SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS, SQLSortOrder=52, IsTornPageDetectionEnabled, IsAutoCreateStatistics, IsAutoUpdateStatistics 90

Cadence_dat 1 c:\data\Cadence.mdf PRIMARY 245632 KB Unlimited 15% data only
    Cadence_log 2 c:\data\Cadence.ldf NULL 62336 KB Unlimited 10% log only

There are 1166 tables one of which has ~ 54K rows, a few that have ~ 24K rows, the rest are fairly small.

Thanks

Glen
  • Sorry, forgot to add..I tried eliminating the environment factor by installing SDC (same version) on a beefier system. It is a Windows 2003 server with 4 GB of memory and dual xeon processors. It has SQL Server 2005 SP1. Restored copies of the source and target databases to that sql instance (the databases names slightly changed of course). Yes it ran faster but..got the same memory exception errors, to the point it happened too frequently.

Glen
  • Hi Glen,

Thanks for those details - exactly what I was after :-).

We *really* shouldn't be out of memory'ing on something of that size - our benchmark databases go into the tens or hundreds of thousands of tables for schema tests, and into hundreds of GB for data size.

When you get the OutOfMemory, do you get a stack trace or any more details? If so, would you mind posting that so I can see if I can tell where exactly it's going wrong? Unfortunately I suspect however that you're seeing this in the "progress dialog" box, where you won't get any more info. If I remember correctly, there is a way of getting the stack trace in this situation, but I don't recall how at the moment - I'll find out when I get back into the office on Monday.

Something to try: can you successfully compare the two databases' schemas using SQL Compare? If so, would you be happy to send me a copy of the schema by email? (You can use SQL Compare to create a snapshot)

Many thanks,
    Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate
  • Robert,

Sorry for the late reply, thought I would get notified of responses but maybe it went into the bit bucket. Anyway, it could have had something to do with the selection of tables we had made. We went back to the system vendor and they gave us an revised SDC template to use, and since then we've not had that error pop up. If it does again I'll try and get as much info as possible.

Glen
  • Hi Glen,

No worries - glad it's working again in any case! Let me know if you do hit the problem in the future.

Cheers,
    Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate