Options

SQL Compare 6.2.0.271: Computed column problem

Fraser.MooreFraser.Moore Posts: 3
edited July 31, 2008 7:41AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hi,

I have created a new computed column in the database I'm synchronising from, and I get the following warning. Surely adding a computed column should be easy as pie? Looks like it's applying checks for normal columns...

Severity: High
Object: Member
Title: The column [FullName] on table [dbo].[Member] must be added but has no default and does not allow NULL values. The table must be rebuilt. If the table contains data then the migration script will not work. To avoid this, add a default to the column or mark it as allowing NULL values.

Comments

• Options
    Michelle TMichelle T Posts: 566 Gold 1
    Yes, it's applying the check for normal columns to computed columns :oops: .

This is a bit awkward to fix, unfortunately, because if you were synchronizing a column that the computed column depends on at the same time, the other column might well get filled with NULLs and cause problems for the computed column, at which point it would be nice to have a warning before that happened. But what we should do is check for a default on any actual columns being migrated that the computed column relies on, not check for one on the computed column.

I've put it on the list (SC-3661) but it might not get looked at for a while as it's probably not directly causing issues for anybody.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Thanks for your prompt reply, Michelle.

The synchronisation did in fact run fine. I was just slightly alarmed by the warning message.

In this case the computed column is NOT NULL because the columns it depends on are all NOT NULL, handily worked out by SQL Server 2005. Would be nice to see this fixed in a future release, but in the meantime at least I know about the issue and can cast an educated eye over it.

In general tho I love the product - truly a thing of beauty (in a nerdy kind of way). :-)

Cheers,

Fraser.
  • Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    I am pleased to inform you that we have fixed this problem in the recently released SQL Compare V.7.

If you have a valid Support & upgrades option, you can download SQL Compare V.7 using the 'Check for updates' mechanism (SQL Compare GUI ->Help ->Check for updates)

or download using this link: ftp://ftp.red-gate.com/SQLToolbelt.zip

SQL Compare V.7 will install along side any previous versions of the software.

Many Thanks
    Eddie Davis
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com