Options

Create a DB from 2005 on 2000?

sdoransdoran Posts: 12 Bronze 2
edited March 5, 2008 6:31AM in SQL Packager Previous Versions
Is there a way to make Red Gate generate the right scripts to build a db on sql 2000 from a sql 2005 db? I keep getting errors in the package when I set up the package with the default options.

Comments

• Options
    Michelle TMichelle T Posts: 566 Gold 1
    SQL Packager should try to create a package which can be built on SQL Server 2000 if you target a SQL Server 2000 database (with 'upgrade a previous database') when building the package. However, it can't generate the correct script in the following cases:

1) You have stored procedures / views / functions with syntax which will not work on 2000

2) You have any 2005-only features in your database (the new object types, data types etc)

There are also a variety of other minor issues which might stop a 'downgrade' package working properly (e.g. there are some issues around full text catalogues, and around owners of objects).
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    sdoransdoran Posts: 12 Bronze 2
    I am seeing the issues around the login and user creation scripts. Suggestions on how to fix?
  • Options
    Michelle TMichelle T Posts: 566 Gold 1
    If you're getting 2005 syntax for logins and users, that probably means Packager isn't picking up that it's meant to be targetting 2000 properly.

I just loaded up Packager and packaged a 2005 database full of various users, which appeared to be generating 2000 syntax correctly when given an empty database on a SQL Server 2000 server on the right-hand side of the initial database chooser dialog.

Could you tell me exactly how you are creating the pacakge and give more details on the problems you are encountering?
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software