Feature Request: Ability to inject SQL script into Package

Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
edited January 19, 2006 3:41PM in SQL Packager Previous Versions
Hi Paul,

No, that's a great idea, actually. It's been suggested before and hopefully we'll do it in the near future.

Now, the only way to put SQL in before or after the Package batches is to make modifications to the 'SQL Packager Code Templates\C#' Visual Studio project's PackageExecutor class.

Comments

• I'm in the middle of writing scripts for the next upgrade of our product's database. It would be nice to be able to include a bunch of scripts that are required to update some of the configuration data in addition to the schema and static data. HUGE requirement for us. I'll end up customizing the packageExecutor class but this is really just extra work for me.

Also are you planning to upgrade to Visual Studio .NET 2003 anytime soon? I end up having to convert the code to 2003 and though it seems ok I'm not sure if I'll run into any imcompatibility.

Thanks.,
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Thanks Paul,

I'm sure that at some point, we'll compile the whole SQL Bundle against Framework 1.1. There do not seem to be any issues with converting the current version of SQL Packager code template to 1.1 because as far as I know they're isn't any 1.0-specific code in it. Of course, that's subject to possible change!
  • I would have to agree, the ability to edit/change the SQL script that is used for the resulting Package software output (.exe or .net project) would be a critical in the next release of the software.

Editing packager generated code is not the reason we buy red-gate software.

If you are looking for other enhancements, it would be nice for a VB.net project output, because I still get a little lost when reviewing a C# solution.
    Jamie Clayton
    Senior Software Developer
    Jenasys Design Pty Ltd, Australia
  • Hey Brian, just checking back in.. Can we expect to see this feature included in version 4 which is about to be released?

Thanks,

paul
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Paul,

That doesn't seem to be the case from what I can tell. Sorry...
  • :cry: Not having that feature in the product is bitterly disappointing from my perspective. It reduces the "value add" your products provided.
    I'll have to review the SQL 2005 SSIS package output to VB.net features. A collegue has mentioned they are very good. We are finding a large number of our clients upgrading their systems to SQL 2005.
    Jamie Clayton
    Senior Software Developer
    Jenasys Design Pty Ltd, Australia
This discussion has been closed.