Options

Windows Authentication

nbandinbandi Posts: 2
edited August 12, 2005 12:19PM in ANTS Load
I am trying to use ANTS Load to test my site that uses integrated windows authentication. I am unable to load my site and keep getting HTTP 500 - Internal server error.

The security event log is recording following

Logon Failure:
Reason: An error occurred during logon
User Name: nbandi
Domain: corporate
Logon Type: 3
Logon Process: IIS
Authentication Package: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
Workstation Name: NBANDI
Status code: 0xC000018D
Substatus code: 0x0

Does that mean that this tool can not work with windows authentication?

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

Thank you for your interest in ANTS Load. The release version does not support Windows Authentication, but I have a beta version of the ANTS Load Engine library that does support it. If you'd like the patch, please send an email to support -AT- red-gate.com and I will attach it to an email and send it to you.

The patch still does not make the script recorder work with Windows Authentication, however. If you try to record a script, ANTS Load cannot make the three-way NTLM request and response to authenticate, and you're left with a 401 unauthorized page.

You'd need to switch the site to basic authentication temporarily to record the script and then change the script to add the authentication credentials that you need to add.
  • Options
    Do you have some sample script for adding the credentials?
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Jason,

No, but I have some suggestions:

NTLM is connection-oriented. You should only need to use the AddCredentials method on the first request to the server or virtual directory. You could probably get away with using AddCredentials on every request, but this would generate unnecessary requests and responses since NTLM is a three-way challenge/response.

If you are not on a Windows domain, you must specify the machine name in the domain name argument.

You have two choices for NTLM authentication. NTLM v1 is what Windows 95 would use, NTLM v2 is for later versions of Windows, and is more secure. ANy Windows 2000/XP/2003 clients would use NTLM v2, but there is no difference in the amount of network traffic.

AddCredentials also gives you the ability to use Basic Authentication. Basic Authentication sends passwords in the clear. (Base-64 encoded, but not encrypted at all)

If this gives you any trouble, please let us know. It has not been extensively tested.
This discussion has been closed.