Options

SQL Compare 5 takes over 15 minutes to start up

rohanpacey1rohanpacey1 Posts: 3
edited February 26, 2008 10:11AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hello, I have been using Sql Bundle 5 for a few years now with no issues.

Recently I have been experiencing a problem whereby SQL Compare 5 takes anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes to start up.

When I start SQL Compare 5.3 it will show the splash screen and will remain like this for an average of about 20 minutes, after which it will eventually show the normal user interface and will then operate as usual.

Obviously this is incredibly frustrating, not to mention distastrous if I want to use SQL Compare to deploy something rapidly.

During the time it is stuck on the splash screen the exe appears to show no CPU activity at all, although the memory usage figure will fluctuate by a few Kb every now and then.

I have uninstalled and reinstalling the product several times and have gone as far as cleaing the registery of all traces, all to no avail. I have deleted and data the application writes to the Document and Settings dir.

I have tried running it with as many services and applicationhs shut down as possible. THis appears to make no difference.

I am running Vista (not sp1), with the DOT.NET 2.0 framework installed, VS 2005 SP1 and SQL Server 2005.

This problem is driving me around the bend as I rely heavily on this software so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Options
    There is one reason that I'm aware of that might be causing the slow startup issue. We use a DevExpress component that searches printers as we're loading up. I've seen a couple of cases where orphaned printers, drivers etc have caused this issue.

However to be certain we could benefit from having a log of the startup to see if there's anything odd that we can notice. You can produce a log using FileMon from SysInternals. You can download this from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysint ... lemon.mspx

If you can run this application and then start up SQL Compare 6, FileMon will log the actions that SQL Compare is carrying out. Once SQL Compare has finally started up click File > Capture Events to stop the event capture. Click the filter button and type redgate.* into the Include: box. This will leave us with just the entries for SQL Compare. Could you then save the file and send it to support@red-gate.com We'll have a look through to see what we can find.
  • Options
    ahhh joy.

Thanks. I deleted all the my printers and the problem went away.

Cheers
  • Options
    I'm glad that it worked.