SQL Compare Command Line Snapshot Comparison

clairehclaireh Posts: 14
edited February 13, 2008 12:23PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I used SQL Compare command line to generate two database snapshots and then again use SQL Compare command line to compare the two snapshots to see whether there are any discrepancies.

Whenever two snapshots are exactly identical, the comparison results doesnt detail anything, it only give me the following message.

The report summary presented in such a way as if there are some failure happened during the comparison but I am suspecting it's actually a design fault. I would like the comparison result to detail all objects even though they are exactly the same. Is it possible?

SQL Compare Command Line V5.3.0.81
===========================================================================================
Copyright c Red Gate Software Ltd 2004-2006

Could not create licence distribution files. Please run as adminstrator if you wish to create these files.
Serial Number:xxx-xxx-xxxxxx-xxxx

Registering databases
Creating mappings
Comparing
Replaying user actions
Error: The databases are identical or no objects have been included in the comparison.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

I suppose you could create a report in HTML format rather than rely on the command-line output:
    C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Bundle 5>sqlcompare /db1:WidgetDev /db2:WidgetDev
    /report:sqcrpt.htm /rt:interactive /includeIdentical:True /force

• Hi Brian,

This doesnt solve my problem. I need to product only text file comparison result so that I could load the content of the text file as email textbody.

Is it a bug that cant be resolved?

Thanks
    Claire
  • Hi Clare,

You aren't the first person to say this, we will look into adding an switch to SQL Compare that stops identical databases reporting as an error. Hopefully, we will be able to get it into the next version of SQL Compare.

Regards,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Good to know that it's a known bug.
  • This bug is fixed in the currently released version of Compare (6.2) - there is now an /allowIdenticalDatabases option (alias: /aid) for the command line which will produce a report instead of an error for identical databases.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Thanks for the infromation. I finally use vbscript to get by the error generated by SQL Compare when the two database snapshots are identical.

It's good to know that you guys fixed the issue.