SQL Refactor Hangs in SSMS, sometimes. Why?

jerryhungjerryhung Posts: 138
edited October 6, 2008 2:52AM in SQL Refactor Previous Versions
My SQL Refactor hangs/froze in my SSMS, sometimes, not always

SQL Refactor version 1.1.0.102
I also have SQL Prompt 3.6.0.109 installed
Have SQL 2005 SP2 installed on my machine (SSMS 9.00.3042.00)

Code:
select top 100
a.backup_finish_date,
case a.[type] when 'D' then 'Database' when 'L' then 'Trans Log' end as backuptype,
a.server_name,
a.database_name,
a.recovery_model,
b.physical_device_name
from msdb.dbo.backupset a
left join msdb.dbo.backupmediafamily b
on a.media_set_id = b.media_set_id
order by a.backup_finish_date desc

Action:
    Selected section of code Under SQL Refactor, select Uppercase Keyword, or Layout SQL

Outcome:
It either stays at 0%, or 99%, SOMETIMES
Normally if I killed SqlWb.exe and re-try again, it works next time
294o1w4.jpg

In comparison, I loved SQL Prompt much more than SQL Refactor
Jerry Hung
DBA, MCITP

Comments

• Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I have exactly the problem and same software versions as the previous poster.

I think the problem occured since I have patched SQL Promt.

Cheers
  • Red Gate has opened a support ticket for me, and I have sent in the detail configs to them, hopefully something can be done

I have had to kill & restart SSMS like 5~10 times in a day, IF I use SQL Refactor; otherwise SSMS + SQL Prompt can last me all day long
    Jerry Hung
    DBA, MCITP
  • It's really annoying, I have to keep terminating SSMS and restarting, I think I am going to disable Refactor for now; I cannot stop pressing CTRL+L for layout.

At least if I disable it and press CTRL+L it won't crash.

I am going to open a support ticket with them as well, hopefully that will speed things up.

Cheers
  • Hi,

I had the exact same problem on my computer with these settings:
    Vista 32, SSMS 9, SQL refactor 1.1.0.102, SQL Prompt 3.6.0.109

Even CTRL-B, CTRL-U (uppercasing) on a completely empty window in a freshly opened SSMS, made SSMS freeze forever.
    It started this behaviour yesterday and I havent installed anything [just] before, so I simply made a windows-recovery, rolling it back two days. After reboot, opening SSMS told me "configuring for first time use", and then everything worked perfectly again.

Im holding my breath and crossing my fingers next time windows automatically updates....
  • I just downloaded the demo to try this out and it hangs for me every single time. I get a pop up in the system notification area that says that says " is busy" and that MSSMS is waiting for an internal operation to complete.

I've tested this even with a very small database (1 table with 3 columns) using just a "select * from X" query and it never works.

I'm quite disappointed at the moment. Any pointers?
  • Hello,

Are you using any third party tools within Management Studio?
    Our support team have identified from past experiences that for most of these hang situations disabling/removing those tools fix the issue.

Thanks,
    Tanya
  • this is my email to Red Gate support
    I did uninstall SSMS, and re-install the SSMS again (i.e. I had SSMS then SQL Refactor; now I have SQL Refactor and then SSMS)
    which did seem to minimize the "freeze" by a lot (but did not completely eliminate it as I just had one this morning)

I will continue my regular usage and report back if I can pinpoint steps to reproduce the problem
    Maybe the new SQL Refactor will "magically" solve all the issues anyway ;-p

Jerry
    Jerry Hung
    DBA, MCITP
  • update after 2 weeks

so my SSMS still doesn't like the combination of SSMS Tools and SQL Refactor.

Today alone I had 2 encounters where SQL Refactor hangs at 0% but doesn't kill the SSMS yet. I know if I run Ctrl-B, Ctrl-L again after that, it'll freeze SSMS for sure

I will uninstall SSMS Tools for this week and observe more
    It's unfortunately if they cannot coexist, as SSMS Tools has some neat features such as "Generate Insert Statement", create CRUD code, etc..
    Jerry Hung
    DBA, MCITP
  • SQL Refactor 1.3 has now been released and we believe that the reported layout hangs are fixed in this release version. However, some of those hangs were not reproducible in our test environment and so it was not possible to test every specific case.

You can upgrade by 'checking for updates' in a previous version of SQL Refactor or it can be downloaded from

http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Refactor/index.htm
  • I'm still having issues with SSMS and Sql Refactor. I've upgraded to the newer version of Refactor (1.3). I'm on XP SP2 machine running SSMS and the db's in question are SQL 2005. I tried editing the sqlwb.exe.config as instructed in a different email, and SSMS instantly crashes and attempts to send a message to Microsoft, this is the error signature:

EventType : clr20r3 P1 : sqlwb.exe P2 : 2005.90.3042.0 P3 : 45cd69e0
    P4 : redgate.refactoring.addin P5 : 1.3.0.207 P6 : 48873bb8 P7 : 610
    P8 : 20 P9 : system.invalidcastexception

I too am a contractor, and I'd used this for ages before beginning to experience an issue back in February. There's no chance I'd be allowed to reinstall SSMS, so if there isn't some other fix for this I'll just have to remove SQL Refactor.
  • The SSMS hang was cured when I ran this at the command prompt:

regsvr32 "%commonprogramfiles%\microsoft shared\msenv\textmgrp.dll"

as advised in the following forum topic:

https://apps2.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/viewtopic.php?t=7094