Registration woes

gcabanagcabana Posts: 3
edited January 31, 2008 8:03AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
ok, so I uninstall and install sqlbackup using sqltoolbelt because I want to register this server as 64-bit. It comes up, but it wont connect to the local sql server. ?? thanks in advance

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

The installation of SQL Backup is a two part process. The installation from the SQL toolbelt only installs the SQL Backup GUI.

After successfully installing the SQL Backup GUI, you need to register the SQL Server into the GUI. Can you please confirm that it is at this point the GUI will not connect to the SQL Server?

If the answer is yes, what is the error message received?

If you are able to successfully register the SQL Server, right click the registered server and choose the option to 'Install or Upgrade Server Components' to install the SQL Backup Server server components onto your SQL Server.

Hope the above helps.

Many Thanks

Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Technical Support Engineer
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • I cannot connect to the sql server (local) from the toolbelt.
    Its a 64-bit instance that uses port 786 but I have a sql alias setup for it, so it should work.
    Just to confirm: i dont need 64-bit version of toolbelt correct?
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    To successfully register the SQL Server into the SQL Backup GUI, please follow the steps below:

1. Open the SQL Backup GUI that you have already installed.

2. Delete the existing the existing SQL Server registration.

3. Right Click to add new SQL Server.

4. In the diaglog box that opens, on the General Tab->For the SQL Server either select the local server name from the drop down box. Or type in the server name.

5. After typing the server name, type in a comma and the port number. So using your example the entry will look similar to this:

MyServer,786

6. Choose the required Authentication.

7. Click the connect button.

Hopefully you will now be able to register and connect to your server.

Then right click the server and choose the option to 'Install or upgrade server components'. This action will install the SQL Backup server components, which should detect the 64bit version of SQL Server and install the 64 bit version of our xp_sqlbackup.dll file.

I hope the above advice helps you to successfully install SQL Backup.

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Technical Support Engineer
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    E-Mail: support@red-gate.com
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com