Two bugs of SQL Backup 5 !

awuawu Posts: 15
edited January 21, 2008 4:01PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
1) When using restore wizard to restore a diff backup over to existing norecovery db, the path of data files are wrong , they show you the default path instead of existing data file path.

2) The log shipping wizard always trying to backup and copy even you select the existing db on standby box.
xunren

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

For Issue 1, I remember a support call of a similar nature sometime ago, once I find the resolution I will reply back and post it to this article.

For Issue Number 2, the answer is yes, if you are configuring Log Shipping using the Log Shipping Wizard.

The Log Shipping will create the backup file on the location specified (we recommend that this location be a local disk on the source or primary server) and if the backup is successful using the COPYTO extended argument, copying the backup file to a network share.

The restore job, picks up the file from the network share, restores to the target database and if the restore is successful using a MOVETO extended argument move the backup file to another location (normally a folder on a local disk to the target or standby server).

Please reply back if you need further information. I will reply back once I have found the information regarding Issue 1.

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    Technical Support
    e-mail: support@red-gate.com
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • That's a bug for me, Eddie, if the user select create new db on standby box, that's fine for wizard to backup and copy over, but if the user select existing db on standby box, the wizard should give the user the choice to bypass backup and copy, if my memory served me right, i think this feature available on previous version, and i do not understand why it's gona in the new version ? The reason is simple , in our system, most of dbs are bigger than 200 GB, so, we always did the backup and copy during the night before we ready to setup log shipping, we only need the wizard do the rest work for us .
    xunren
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your reply.

Regarding Issue 1: What exact Version of SQL Backup V.5 are you using?

Regarding Issue 2: In version 4.* of SQL Backup, you could perform the Full backup of the source database and the Full restore to the target database outside of the the Log Shipping wizard.

In SQL Backup V.5, the Full backup and restore is more tightly integrated into the Log Shipping wizard.

I can submit a feature request to change this behaviour and give the user the choice to bypass this initial Full backup and restore.

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Technical Support Engineer
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com