Column Picker

jamwcjamwc Posts: 4
edited January 17, 2008 3:20AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
I just installed Sql Prompt but the column picker is disabled--how do I enable it?

Comments

• Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Hi there,

You'll need to do something like this:

SELECT ^ FROM SomeTable

(^ represents the caret position)

If you hit CTRL+SPACE to bring up the completion list you should find that the column picker can be reached by pressing CTRL+LEFT. You can then select multiple columns using UP, and DOWN arrows, and SPACE to select/unselect (you can also use the mouse).

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Thanks for the reply but that does not work for me. I only get the "Suggested Candidates" and the column picker icon remains disabled.
    Could you post the contents of your script please? Also, do you get a list of tables after the FROM in your suggested candidates list? Could you also let me know what editor you're using and which version of SQL Prompt (go to SQL Prompt > About).
    Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • I'm just using a simple select statemeent like SELECT * FROM scheduletask to test Sql Promt. No I do not get a list of tables and I am using the trial version 3.6.0.109. I am using Management Stduio Sql Sever 2005 Query Window.
    OK thanks. So it sounds like you have a more general problem than that just the column picker isn't working. What happens when you connect to the database? Do you get any meta-data retrieval errors? And do you have dbo access or the VIEW DEFINITION permission (SQL Server 2005 only) on the database to which you're connecting?
    Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd