Brackets Always Inserted For Temp Tables

BrianFinkelBrianFinkel Posts: 33
edited January 16, 2008 1:44PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Sql Prompt 3.6. SQL 2000. Query Analyzer.

SELECT * FROM #TempTable

causes Sql Prompt to always reformat as...

SELECT * FROM [#TempTable]

...even when "Surround identifiers with brackets" is not checked.
Using Sql Prompt 3.7 with SQL Server 2000, Query Analyzer, and 2005 Mgmt Studio.

Comments

• Hi Brian,

This was a bug in Prompt 3.6 that has been fixed in our 3.7 version. You can recieve the 3.7 build by directly mailing support@red-gate.com

Thank you.

Regards,
    Tanya
  • Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Hi Brian,

I'm 99% sure this is fixed in 3.7. The reason I say this is that somebody reported it all of half an hour after we released 3.6 and I was so irritated we'd missed it that I fixed it there and then, but wasn't able to check in the fix for some time. It's certainly not behaving like this in the 4.0 codebase I have on my machine right now, which at present has very few differences from 3.7.

Details at:

http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... 7a86210ebe

Please contact support@red-gate.com directly for download instructions.

The behaviour seems to be that if "Surround identifiers with brackets" is checked then the table name will be surrounded, whereas if it's not checked, then as you'd expect the table name is not surrounded with brackets.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • OK. Got the update from support. Will let you know after I have a chance to try it.

Is there any reason why 3.7 would be less stable than 3.6 or present other issues? Is there any potential tradeoff in upgrading?
    Using Sql Prompt 3.7 with SQL Server 2000, Query Analyzer, and 2005 Mgmt Studio.
  • Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Hi Brian,

There shouldn't be. In fact it should be more stable. Basically the only bug fixes that went in there were for this particular issue, plus a number of exceptions/crashes that have been reported in 3.6 and earlier releases over the past months.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • 10-4. Will give it a try.