ANTS Profiler 2.0 and Windows 2003

Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
Hi Everett,

Thanks for your post. From what I know about the Profiler, this exception looks like it's most likely being thrown when it's trying to get some information from the IIS metabase. I think you could get this error if the default website doesn't exist, the entry for it is corrupted, of the site ID is not '1'. Can you please try this:
  • Open a command prompt
  • type 'cd c:\inetpub\adminscripts'
  • type 'cscript adsutil.vbs ENUM W3SVC/1'

This wil attempt to show you all of the IIS Metabase entries for the default website. If nothing comes up when you run this script, please let us know and we'll see about patching the software so that it works for you.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Everett,

I've had a look at the code again, and the bit about 'W3SVC/1/Root' is not in the release version of ANTS Profiler (it's in an internal version). Sorry for the confusion. The path to try to enumerate is W3SVC/AppPools/DefaultAppPool.

Can you run this from the command prompt and see what comes back?
    c:
    cd inetpub\adminscripts
    cscript adsutil.vbs ENUM W3SVC/AppPools/DefaultAppPool
  • ok, ran the code and here is what i got...

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved.

The path requested could not be found.
    ErrNumber: -2147024893 (0x80070003)
    Error Trying To ENUM the Object (GetObject Failed): W3SVC/AppPools/DefaultAppPool
  • I created the DefaultAppPool and now the profiler runs w/o error. We can move forward in our development schedule now but I would really expect that a patch should be forthcoming to resolve this. At the very least an announcement post in this forum to alert people that this an issue.
  • Hi Everett,

ANTS Profiler needs the App Pool Identity Type to correctly configure the profiling session. Since the Default App Pool is normally present, it hasn't been an issue until now!

Thanks for telling us about this. We'll try to change the way that this information is collected in the future.
  • Brian,

Just wanted to apologize if that last post came accross on the abrasive side, it wasn't my intention. I only meant to suggest that now that the issue is know you could post something for the next poor fool who thinks he's cleaning things up by creating a set of well named app pools and deleting that 'useless' DefaultAppPool. If the tone was on the curt side it was a case of trying to write something pre-coffee this morning :-). In any case, I wanted to thank you again for the help.

Everett
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    No offense taken. Not in the least. I think it would be a very good thing if we enumerated the app pools and got the settings from the first available one rather than relying on the default app pool being there.
This discussion has been closed.