HUGE Delay on Undo

BrianFinkelBrianFinkel Posts: 33
QA hangs for like 3-5 sec. My PC is a Core2 Duo @ > 2GHz.

Totally maddening.

Why necessary?
Using Sql Prompt 3.7 with SQL Server 2000, Query Analyzer, and 2005 Mgmt Studio.

Comments

• Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    How big an undo are we talking about here? I only see this kind of behaviour when undoing a massive paste, or similar.
    Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Deleting a line, deleting a word, etc. Not big undos. Sql Prompt is doing something heavy during the undo. I can't be the only one experiencing this.

A workaround that I've been using is to disable Sql Prompt using ALT-S, D before an undo, then ALT-S, E afterward but that is obviously less than ideal.

A marginal improvement to my workaround, and a great enhancement in general, would be if you had a kbd shortcut for enable/disable, like CTL+SHIFT+S or CTL+SHIFT+P. But that still would not solve my problem.
    Using Sql Prompt 3.7 with SQL Server 2000, Query Analyzer, and 2005 Mgmt Studio.
    Hmmm... Which editor is this? I know that we don't/can't always get proper undo/redo events and that this can sometimes force SQL Prompt to reparse a script because we don't know what's changed. AFAIK this only affects QA but I could be wrong about that because I didn't work on the editor integration.
    Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • QA in SQL 2000.
    OK thanks. That's certainly the problem then. If you have access to it then SQL Server Management Studio doesn't suffer with this problem because it actually gives us full information about undo/redo rather than just saying "hey, something's changed". If you don't have SQL Server 2005 you might find that SQL Server Management Studio Express will happily connect to your SQL Server 2000 instances (I've never tried this though, so no promises). This version of Management Studio is free and can be downloaded from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

It doesn't explicitly say that SQL Server 2000 isn't supported, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is either. I'm just going by the fact that I use the standard version of SSMS to connect to both 2000 and 2005 instances.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • OK. Will try that when I have a chance.

Do you have any idea whether the SQL 2000 client tools (Query Analyzer, Profiler, Enterprise Mgr, etc.) can peacefully coexist on the same machine with SQL 2005 tools?

Thanks,
    Brian
    Hi Brian,

That should be fine. I have them both on my machine and haven't had any problems at all.

Cheers,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Bart Read wrote:
    That's certainly the problem then. If you have access to it then SQL Server Management Studio doesn't suffer with this problem because it actually gives us full information about undo/redo rather than just saying "hey, something's changed".
    Hi, I'm testing SqlPrompt 3 (after using SqlPrompt2) and I also find this issue to be really annoying.

For what you say, I'm guessing the delay is because you're implementing a "smart undo", is this right?. If so, couldn't you just leave the undo alone so QA handles them normally (char-by-char)? It's really, really annoying.

Other than that, and in my 3rd day of testing, looks good.

Well, a small formatting feature I'd like is being able to specify the order of the tables in the ON statement (JOINs), such as
    SELECT *
    FROM tableA a (NOLOCK)
    INNER JOIN tableB b (NOLOCK) ON *a.fieldA = b.fieldB*

(Since I can't set bold text I used stars, '*') So I'd like to use the tables in the order they appear in the whole sentence (a before b).
    —As I said before, nothing but a small formatting feature.