Options

Error backing up to network drives

I have a server that previously backed up to a network drive. We had some problems and moved the backup to a local drive and used with copyto option to transfer to the network drive. We have a new network drive server and decided to change the destination back to the network, cut out the local drive at all.

When I try to specify any network drive, whether UNC or mapped drive, I get an error similar to below. This happens despite the fact that I can browse the network drive from a command prompt or explorer window

MOBAC02: Backup - Failed
========================

Performing full backups - Failed

This operation failed with errors.

Backing up Testing (full database) to:
Error 500: Failed to create backup folder : \\192.168.21.162\f$\mobac02Error 505: No valid SQL Backup file names entered.
SQL Backup exit code: 505

Updating SQL Server information - Successful

This operation completed successfully.

Neil Roberts
Global Tel-Link

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    SQL Backup uses the credentials of the SQL Backup Agent service startup user to connect to network shares. Can you please check if that user has rights to access that network share?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    SQL Backup service logs in with a local account named sqluser. I logged in locally to the server as sqluser and verified that I can access the network folder, read and write files on it.

Still getting this error:

MOBAC02: Backup - Failed
    ========================

Performing full backups - Failed

This operation failed with errors.

Backing up Testing (full database) to:
    Error 500: Failed to create backup folder : \\192.168.21.162\f$\mobac02Error 505: No valid SQL Backup file names entered.
    SQL Backup exit code: 505

Updating SQL Server information - Successful

This operation completed successfully.
  • Options
    Another DBA here reinstalled SQL Backup and the problem went away.