SSMS Fails after install of SQL Bundle

tdewitttdewitt Posts: 7
edited January 15, 2008 2:26PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
I installed my copy of SQL Bundle> When I started SSMS, both SQL Prompt and SQL Refeactor failed to start and I was asked to disable the Plug-in.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,

Thomas DeWitt

Comments

• Could you let me know the exact error message that you're getting? We're aware that occasionally the tools fail to load and you will need to register the add-in manually.

Could you look at the following knowledge base article and let me know if it relates to your issue?

http://www.red-gate.com/support/kb/KB200702000008.htm
  • Thank you for your reply. I read the articles and attempted to follow the instructions. Which lead to the solution.

I have SSMS installed on a WS2003. I did not have the dot net 2.0 framework installed in order to follow the instructions in KB 200702000008.

I installed the Framework and was able to get everything working.

Just a suggestion. As a software developer myself, I normally check that dependencies such as the dot net framework are installed as part of an installation process. You might want to think about updating you install process to include those dependencies as part of the process.

Thank you so much for your help.

Thomas
  • Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Hi Thomas,

Thanks for getting back to us. It's unusual that the installer wouldn't have warned you about the missing dependency, since we do (as you suggest) check for the correct .NET framework version, along with MDAC and a bunch of other bits and bobs. It looks like there might be a bug wherein this check either erroneously passes, or silently fails on some systems. This should be fixed in a future release of the toolbelt installer.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd