StackOverflow exception when profiling .NET exe

When I profile an application I am getting a StackOverflow exception. It is not being thrown from inside the application but seems to be from the profiler itself. The application handles all exception so I should never see the JIT debugger window.

If I run the application normally, this behaviour is not observed.

The JIT debugger fixes me the option to attach, and if I do, using the project to the application being profiled, it doesn't find any sourcecode to debug.

I am running Windows 2003 server, .NET Framework 1.1

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

The current version of ANTS Profiler is limited to 600 methods on the stack. A method stays on the stack if it was called by another method that is currently running or is recursive.

This limitation will disappear from the next version of ANTS Profiler. Can you please send me an emial to support (AT) red-gate.com with a request for a beta version of Profiler? We have an in-house beta available that does not have a 600 method limit. Maybe this will solve the problem.
    ANTS Profiler 2.5 can now handle a virtually unlimited number of methods on the stack. This should stop all of the stack overflow problems.
  • Since I was running the Beta ( 2.1.0 Build 428 ), the check for updates doesn't work ( "The Update Service does not recognize this product" ). How can I upgrade to 2.5 ?
    ANTS Profiler 2.5 can now handle a virtually unlimited number of methods on the stack. This should stop all of the stack overflow problems.
    Hi,

I've sent you the URL to download it directly.