Options

Comments/Suggestions

jshipleyjshipley Posts: 8 Bronze 2
A couple of suggestions to make the program easier to use:

1. When the program is searching for unhandled exceptions, it would be nice to have a progress dialog that would allow you to cancel the operation. As it is, there is no way to cancel it. And sometimes it takes a while.

2. When you return to the list of procedures (from the list of unhandled exceptions) you sort of lose your place. It would be nice if it kept your previous selection highlighted.

3. It finds exceptions in designer generated code. Does this make sense? You are not supposed to modify this code. Maybe I am missing something.

4. It would be really nice if it offered to insert the proper catch statement for you.

Thanks,
Jim

Comments

• Options
    Hi again,
    jshipley wrote:
    1. When the program is searching for unhandled exceptions, it would be nice to have a progress dialog that would allow you to cancel the operation. As it is, there is no way to cancel it. And sometimes it takes a while.

You should be able to click on another method to switch analysis, it should cancel itself intelligently. Unfortunately we cannot provide a status bar with a true percentage as its one of those algorithms which generates a lot of the work as it goes along. I will talk to our usability team about making the cancel process clearer and if it should be explicit.

jshipley wrote:
    2. When you return to the list of procedures (from the list of unhandled exceptions) you sort of lose your place. It would be nice if it kept your previous selection highlighted.

I will put a feature request for this in our tracking system and we will look at it for the next point release.
    jshipley wrote:
    3. It finds exceptions in designer generated code. Does this make sense? You are not supposed to modify this code. Maybe I am missing something.

You are quite right that you should not modify designer generated code, however you can deal with the exceptions in the form's constructor where it called InitialiseComponent if you want to.
    jshipley wrote:
    4. It would be really nice if it offered to insert the proper catch statement for you.

This is on our todo list as is closer integration into Visual Studio to make developers lives easier.

Thanks for all of your feedback, its much appreciated.

James
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    jshipleyjshipley Posts: 8 Bronze 2