Options

Question - what to do with results?

jshipleyjshipley Posts: 8 Bronze 2
I have a couple questions about the Exception Hunter program. First of all, let me tell you the program looks great. You guys do a fantastic job with the UI. I have the SQL compare program and the same goes for that. Nice job.

1. My question is, after I go through all of the analysis, what do I do? It gives me a giant list of unhandled exceptions which I am not sure what to do with. Then you click on each exception and it takes you to the location in the code. So what do you do then? And why does it show a (seemingly) neverending list of stack? Does this help?

Maybe some more info in the help documentation would be what is needed. ...or maybe I'm just a little dense! I'm not sure if I need to handle ALL of the exceptions that are listed. I do have general try/catch exception handling in all my procedures.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Jim,

There are some .NET methods which throw an extra ordinary amount of exceptions (There is at least one which can throw more than 500 different types of exception), this can make it difficult when choosing which ones to handle.

When I use the tool I do not catch all exceptions thrown by every method, some of the exceptions will be caused by one off start up code and probably don't need to be handled every time you call a function.

The value for the tool for me is allowing me to choose which exceptions I really want to handle rather than handing code off to a tester and them coming back, normally, thanks to sods law, a few hours before release, having done somthing which caused an exception I didn't expect.

I normally have Reflector open at the same time as using the tool and then look at the stack trace the program reports in reflector to understand when and if the exception will be thrown and then make a decision on if I want to deal with it there, somewhere else or if it is highly unlikely ever to be thrown in which case crashing hard and fast might be the best option.

Hope this helps a little,

James
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd