Problem with GO

Dave PendletonDave Pendleton Posts: 104 Bronze 3
edited January 10, 2008 9:54PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
What is the problem with "GO"?

Perhaps three times out of 100, I actually see "GO" as a listed candidate, the other 97 times, I get "GOTO".

I'm getting tired of having to ESCape or backspace over a GOTO.

Comments

• Thanks for your post.

I have to admit that I have encountered this issue myself on several occasions, but never reliably enough to log a bug report. I thought it was probably a mistake (bad syntax) on my part that caused the problem, as I have never been able to recreate the issue after.

Do you happen to have some example SQL that reliably recreates this issue?
    Chris
  • I get something similiar with the keywork "IN"...brings up INFORMATION_SCHEMA.xxxx

PITA to deal with. :cry:
  • It does not matter what SQL I am working with at the time--it does it all the time.

I can type GO in an empty Query Analyzer window and it will behave this way.
  • It does not matter what SQL I am working with at the time--it does it all the time.

I can type GO in an empty Query Analyzer window and it will behave this way.

Thanks for your reply.

I have informed the development team about this issue. The problem is logged under the bug tracking code of SP-836.

I will update you once the report has been reviewed.
    I get something similiar with the keywork "IN"...brings up INFORMATION_SCHEMA.xxxx

PITA to deal with.

Andrew,

Sorry for the slow response.

Can you give me some example SQL that will reproduce this issue? As far as I can tell, IN will only be suggested as a candidate when it is valid in the query.

For example, if I type 'Select * from table WHERE column IN' then IN will be a valid suggestion and presented in the candidate list, but if I type IN somewhere that is not relevant then it wont be suggested in the candidate list. If you could give me an example where IN is not suggested when it should be, I can pass the issue on to the developers.

Thanks
    Chris
  • select * from mytable
    where id in(formation_schema)

IN not an option at all in the dropdown list.
    1st option is INFORMATION_SCHEMA, 2nd is INDEX_COL.
    pain to have to go back and delete code and replace with desired result.

version 3.5.0.333
  • Hi Andrew,

Could you try the code with the latest version (SQL Prompt 3.6). I can't reproduce the problem with 3.6. You can download it by selecting SQL Prompt > Check for Updates

I know this isn't proof, but this is what happens when I write a query aginst the Advetureworks database:

USE [AdventureWorks]
    SELECT * FROM [Person].[Address] a
    WHERE a.[AddressID] IN
    Chris
  • Downloaded that & that's working for me now. Slight issue still with how the word LEFT is interpreted. SQLPrompt assumes I mean the function LEFT, whereas in the context of the code I'm writing I can only mean LEFT JOIN at the last character below. I'm not being given when I press space to select/autofill JOIN as I type.

SELECT * from table1
    LEFT
  • Sorry for the slow response.

When you type LEFT, do you only get the suggestion for the function left? When I try I also have the option to select the keyword LEFT. The function is listed first, but below that I can choose the keyword - and continue to type LEFT JOIN, or LEFT OUTER etc

The reason the function is listed is because functions are valid SQL in a FROM clause, so they will appear in the candidate list. In this situation I would agree that the use of the keyword would be more common than the function, but it is by design that functions are listed before 'other candidates' when creating the list.

I hope this helps clarify the issue a little.
    Chris