Options

5.2 upgrade/installation issue

DavidCookDavidCook Posts: 8 Bronze 2
edited December 13, 2007 7:42PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I have a SQL Server 2000 machine that also has an instance of SQL 2005 installed (kindly done by an application vendor’s installation routine without so much as asking). There are 5 instances (including the default). The machine has 2 drive sets configured as C: and D; drives. I had previously moved the SQL data folders from C to D for space reasons (and done all the necessary steps to have SQL server find the data files; this has been working for a couple of months).

I had SQL Backup Lite v4 installed and wish to upgrade to SQL Backup 5.2 Pro. 3 of the instances installed without a hitch; 2 did not, and both failed with this error (I’ve also uninstalled V4 completely and installed 5.2 from scratch with the same results):

Copy SQBServerSetup.exe to server - Failed

The file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$HCNMOBILE\Data\SQBServerSetup.exe could not be accessed. You may not have sufficient permission to access that folder, or the file may be in use by a running application on the server.

The instance is HCNMOBILE (the other is HCNSYSTEM which fails with the same message). The message is in fact correct; the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$HCNMOBILE\Data\SQBServerSetup.exe could never be accessed because the path C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$HCNMOBILE\Data does not exist; the SQL Server data files reside in D:\MSSQL$HCNMOBILE\Data.

How do I tell the SQLBackup installer where to find the data files for this (and the other) instance?

Thanks

David Cook

Comments

• Options
    OK, I've fixed the issue.

The 2 instances in question did not have default data folder settings, and so SQLBackup was attempting to copy the SQBServerSetup.exe to it's best guess of the data folder, which in this case was incorrect because I've moved them to another drive. I updated the default data (and log) folder properties for each instance, and the installation ran successfully.

Thanks

David