SQL Backup causing applications to fail?

pkristolaitispkristolaitis Posts: 12
edited December 11, 2007 7:28PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello everyone;

We've been running SQL Backup in production for a few weeks now and we love it! However, we've run across some quirky behavior with one of our applications.

Specifically, the software is BMC Service Desk Express (a helpdesk ticketing system). Every night that we've run a Red Gate SQL Backup job on that database, the application's services crash, causing additional work for the Service Desk staff. However, we have other software that has similar DB access patterns (e.g. network monitoring tools, nightly batch jobs, etc) that are absolutely fine.

Strangely, this problem does NOT occur when using SQL Server native backups.

We're still trying to figure out exactly what's going on (digging through application logs, etc), but we're wondering if anyone has ever seen anything similar?

I'm more than willing to accept that the BMC software was poorly coded, but it's strange that SQL native backups are fine.

Any insight would be much appreciated.
Peter Kristolaitis
Database Administrator
VON Canada

Comments

• To quote myself:
    I'm more than willing to accept that the BMC software was poorly coded

Just to close this issue, it looks like it was a problem with the software. The timing was simply coincidental that the problems started popping up the same weekend we installed SQL Backup.
    Peter Kristolaitis
    Database Administrator
    VON Canada