Options

Feature Requests

aarons44aarons44 Posts: 32
edited December 11, 2007 1:38PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I have two feature requests for SQL Backup. The first is that more than one instance of the application can run on the server at the same time. We often have administrators logged into the server at the console and via remote desktop, and only one person at a time can use SQL Backup, which is an annoying limitation. The other is that although SQL Backup can write files to one directory and copy them to another location, it cannot delete the files in the second location on a schedule. So if you have a backup job that is writing to drive f: and also copying the backups to \\myFilestore, it can delete the backups on drive f: every x number of days, but not in \\myFilestore. This means that jobs must be created outside of SQL Backup to delete those backups, which usually means creating batch files and running them as scheduled tasks.

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. I'd just like to point out that it is possible to have files automatically deleted from a COPYTO location using the FILEOPTIONS parameter in the SQL Backup command.

FILEOPTIONS=1 will apply erasefiles to the primary backup location and any copyto or moveto location simultaneously. FILEOPTIONS=2 will only delete the files if the archive bit is clear (ie they have been backed up to tape).
  • Options
    Thank you for the quick response! So, if I use FILEOPTIONS = 1, it will apply the same delete parameters to both locations? Ok, so I guess my request now becomes that this option be added to the GUI. That's typically how I create all of my jobs if possible, which is why I thought that option wasn't available.
    Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. I'd just like to point out that it is possible to have files automatically deleted from a COPYTO location using the FILEOPTIONS parameter in the SQL Backup command.

FILEOPTIONS=1 will apply erasefiles to the primary backup location and any copyto or moveto location simultaneously. FILEOPTIONS=2 will only delete the files if the archive bit is clear (ie they have been backed up to tape).