Options

What's with system stored procedures?

Dave PendletonDave Pendleton Posts: 104 Bronze 3
edited December 5, 2007 5:49PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
I use sp_help (and its variants) quite frequently.

SQL Prompt either does not recognize these procedures at all (yes, I've registered master), or offers up User-defined functions as the only suggestions after either I or SQL Prompt completes the procedure name.

Why?

Comments

• Options
    This works on my system just fine. You may need to go into SQL Prompt options on the Listed Candidates tab, Candidate Types and Filters, then check the Show: System Objects option in order to get them to show up.

Hope this helps
    Travis DeAngelis
    Sr. Software Engineer
    AdvancedMD Software
  • Options
    They do show up -- sometimes; and when they do, they only suggest user-defined functions or nothing at all.

If I recall, sp_help works with more than just udf's.
  • Options
    They do show up -- sometimes; and when they do, they only suggest user-defined functions or nothing at all.

If I recall, sp_help works with more than just udf's.

Ah so the nature of the issue is that after you type sp_help the suggestion list is restricted to only showing functions instead of stored procedures, tables, and other supported objects. I have the same issue as you. It would seem that SqlPrompt is purposfully limiting itself in this case since most procedures do not allow for passing of procedure names as parameters.

I would say that this would probably end up being a custom set of circumstances for items like sp_help, sp_helptext, sp_helpindex etc that would show specific object based on the stored procedure name instead of just a generic "Stored Procedure" acceptable list.

Would be a nice enhancement request if you ask me.
    Travis DeAngelis
    Sr. Software Engineer
    AdvancedMD Software