Memory Issues on Transaction Log Backups in SQL2005 (64 Bit)

mraftreemraftree Posts: 3
edited December 11, 2007 2:36AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello All,

We have noticed that memory is being held by the transaction log backup process and not released to SQl Server when SQLBackup transaction log backup jobs run on our production servers every 15 minutes.

It is severly impacting performance and PageLife Expectancy is going DOWN with each transaction log backup (every 15 minutes). We disabled the transaction log backup agent job and the page life expectancy started to climb back to acceptable levels.

We are concerned that there may be a bug of some sort that is causing transaction log backups to fix and hold memory that should be release when the job finishes execution.

Any thoughts or questions you have for me?

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you pls provide me the following details:

- SQL Server edition and service pack level
    - SQL Backup version
    - Windows operating system version and service pack level
    - the command used to perform the backup

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Hi,

can you provide the same details to this post. We are planning to do the same thing and don't want to run into those problems before a fix is created.

Thanks

wd
  • Hello All,

Sorry for the scant details in my original post.

We are running SQL 2005 (9.0.3161)

We are running SQL Backup 5

We are running Windows Server 2003 Datacenter 64 Bit Edition SP1

We've got a SQL job running the following statement:

DECLARE @exitcode int
    DECLARE @sqlerrorcode int
    EXECUTE master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "BACKUP LOGS [DB1,DB2,DB3,DB4] TO DISK = ''\\ourserver\somedir\dbservername\<AUTO>.sqb'' WITH COMPRESSION = 1, ERASEFILES_ATSTART = 14, MAXDATABLOCK = 524288, MAXTRANSFERSIZE = 131072"', @exitcode OUT, @sqlerrorcode OUT
    IF (@exitcode >= 500) OR (@sqlerrorcode <> 0)
    BEGIN
    RAISERROR ('SQL Backup failed with exit code: %d SQL error code: %d', 16, 1, @exitcode, @sqlerrorcode)
    END

Let me know if there are other details that would help diagnose this issue.
  • Hi,

thanks for the reply. We are using SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition 64 Bit on a Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition 64 Bit System. I'll give it a try to see if the bug is only happening with you.