Can't change compression level for backup job

jlcflyjlcfly Posts: 7
edited December 10, 2007 3:35AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I've created a backup job that works fine, and I thought I had set the compression to maximum. When I double-checked the settings, it was set to minimum, and wouldn't let me change it to maximum.

I tried creating a new job, and couldn't set that to maximum either.

Any ideas?

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Are you using SQL Backup Lite edition? That edition allows only one compression level to be used.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Ah! That would be it. Thanks.
  • I have to say I am a bit miffed. I have now purchased two licenced copies of what seems to be called the Lite version of SQL Backup v5 only to find that the available Compression ratio in the registered version is set to 1.

I think there is a bit of mis-representation here. There is very little on the Red-Gate web site that says this is the case for the Lite version. Your FAQs say:

"The Pro license allows you to back up and restore databases on a remote server via the GUI, and allows both 128-bit and 256-bit encryption. You can't do remote backups and restores via the GUI with a Lite license and it does not allow encryption. If you have a SQL Server cluster and wish to use the cluster-aware installation mechanism, you will require Pro licenses. Other features, such as using multiple threads and Timeline Monitoringâ„¢ are available in both Lite and Pro licenses. See the feature comparison list for further details."

There is nothing here to say that the allowable compression ratio in the Lite version is any different to the Pro version and it is not until you go into the feature comparison list do you see that Lite has 'Standard' compression and Pro has 'High' compression. I can find nothing that explains the difference between these two, nor anything that indicates that the 'medium' compression level 2 is not available in the Lite version.

I really like Red-Gate products but feel a bit aggrieved that the compression level 2 has been removed from the Lite version.
  • Hi,

The full feature comparison for the two editions is here: http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Ba ... arison.htm

I agree that the FAQ is slightly ambigous in this case and will ask for the text to be updated.

If you could drop me an email (james.moore <at> red-gate <dot> com) with your serial key then I will talk to the sales guys about some options for upgrading you to pro.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused,

James
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd