Backup Error

cpoulcpoul Posts: 5
edited December 1, 2007 5:15AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I have been creating backup plans for several servers. On one server I get the following error:

SQL Backup failed with exit code: 586 SQL error code: -1 [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 50000). The step failed.

I get this error whether the backup runs from the job or manually. However, if I remote to the server and run a backup from the command line, it works fine.

From what I can tell, the setup is identical to the other servers that are working fine.

Additionally, I am supposed to get an email if the job fails and I am not, although the test email worked.

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you post the contents of the log file for the failed task? The default folder for log files is <system drive>\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\<instance name>

Look for a file that does not have a GUID value around the same time the job ran, as that would indicate that the backup/restore process failed.

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • The error message is:
    SQL Backup log file 5.2.0.2825
    SQL error -2147467259: Cannot generate SSPI context
    SQL error -2146893044: SQL Network Interfaces: The logon attempt failed

Server : VTES01
    Windows authentication
    11/28/2007 10:13:18 AM: Failed to connect to SQL Server instance: VTES01
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Is the server name correct? Also, if you run a backup using Query Analyzer or Management Studio eg.
    EXEC master..sqlbackup '-sql "BACKUP DATABASE model TO DISK = &#91;&lt;auto&gt;&#93;"'

Does it generate the same error?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8