What is Needed in Versions after Version 6

beachldybeachldy Posts: 17
On the Custom Comparison Key, I'd like to see an option to "SELECT ALL" and "CLEAR ALL" for setting the keys. It would speed things up rather than having to manually click on every checkbox.

Comments

• Do you mean you're comparing two tables based on all of the columns in the table?

That seems quite strange as you only need to compare enough to columns to make a unique comparison key.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • It's unfortunately something that a data warehousing project does...tons of tables with no indexes...so sometimes, all fields need the index. It's a 3rd party app that doesn't create indexes at all. Only a few of them need every field indexed.
  • Actually just had a play and you have the functionality already :)

On the "Select custom comparison key" window choose a database field by clicking on the field name to highlight a row, then ctrl-A selects all the fields and using space selects and de-selects all.

Wahay!

HTH
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • I'd like to have some mechanism to allow the comparison of tables with CLR data types. These data types are going to become more and more common over time, and the inability to process these data types is a major headache in my environment.
  • We do support comparison of CLR data types. We also support their transport as binary - of course your CLR types would have to be binary compatable.

HTH
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • richardjm wrote:
    We do support comparison of CLR data types. We also support their transport as binary - of course your CLR types would have to be binary compatable.

HTH

Well, I did double check my version, and I realized I was not using version 6. However, even after I upgraded, I am still getting an error for one of my CLR types. This is odd behavior because this same type appears in other tables in the same database, and the new version had no problem with them.

This is the error message:
    The type "UserInformation" is not comparable.  It cannot be used in the ORDER BY clause."

I am going to post this issue in the troubleshooting forums.
  • Forgive me (and correct me) if there is a better place to post this, but I have a couple of suggestions/requests:

1) I would like to see a feature that allows me to apply the "where clause" to all of the selected tables in my comparison. This would be very helpful when comparing data across environments for a specific set of data like you might find in an order system. Example: I want to compare/synch all of the data in multiple tables all having to do with a specific OrderID.

2) I would like the ability to script out a GUI configuration into command line syntax or an xml file that can be run from the command line or batch files. This functionality would be very similar to the way SQL Server SMS allows you to script objects, databases, replication etc.

3) I would like the Where clause to be exposed to the command line utility.

Thanks
    ~ jeff ~
  • I love posts like this :)

1) You can do that currently, just multiple select the tables and use the WHERE Clause editor to set a where clause for all of them in one step (this was a request from a customer previously).

2) The commandline will accept .sdc project files and use all the settings from the gui and should perform the same actions.

3) WHERE clauses can only be set on the commandline via the use of a .sdc project file. Although if you have a look in the project files you'll see they're XML and could be generated automatically quite easily.

Bear in mind that the commandline in version 6.1.0 doesn't work - we're releasing a quick update asap to address the issue.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd