restore database in SSIS using Extended stored procedure

byongbyong Posts: 2
I'm creating SSIS package to restore database using extended stored procedure format (of regate backup). The package was run successfully but the database is not restored. Do you know why?

How can I restore redgate backup in SSIS package?

Thanks,

Comments

• Hi,

I'm not well-versed in SSIS but I suspect that the restore operation most likely encountered a failure. The reason why SSIS would probably report success is because your restore script does not raise an error to SQL Server's execution engine. SQL Backup does not do this for you so it's necessary to perform error trapping and handling in your own SQL script task, for instance:
    DECLARE @exitcode int 
    DECLARE @sqlerrorcode int 
    EXECUTE master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "... backup command goes here ..."', @exitcode OUT, @sqlerrorcode OUT 
    IF (@exitcode >= 500) OR (@sqlerrorcode <> 0) 
    BEGIN 
    RAISERROR ('SQL Backup failed with exit code: %d  SQL error code: %d', 16, 1, @exitcode, @sqlerrorcode)  /* raises error condition */
    END

To check that your restore was successful (or failed) you may want to have a look at the SQL Backup log files in the %allusersprofile%\application data\red gate\sql backup\log.
  • This code works well, but for the SSIS side all you would need to do to capture the error is to use a ADO.net connection on your execute sql task.