Upgrade from SQL Backup v4 to v5: Server connection issue

TomHodsonTomHodson Posts: 8
edited November 23, 2007 4:51AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I have recently upgraded my SQL Backup from v4 to v5.2.

When I open up the GUI I have to add in new server registrations, and I can either import from enterprise manager, v4 or add them manually.

I have tried all of these options, and I always get the same error message: "a severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded"

I have tried this on two separate 2003 servers, one an upgrade of v4 and one a fresh install. both give the same error message. The server components have not yet been upgraded.

Any ideas?
Thomas Hodson

Comments

• Hi Tom,

Can you check the SQL Server logs, which are available in the management container of either Management Studio or Enterprise Manager? When the connection attempt fails, the reason is probably contained in the logs of the SQL Server that you are connecting to. I think that this error indicates some sort of buffer error on the SQL connection.
  • Hi Tom,

Can you check the SQL Server logs, which are available in the management container of either Management Studio or Enterprise Manager? When the connection attempt fails, the reason is probably contained in the logs of the SQL Server that you are connecting to. I think that this error indicates some sort of buffer error on the SQL connection.

I have checked the logs and there aren't any messages pertaining to this issue.
  • Hi Tom,

I have been able to successfully connect to a server that doesn't have the v4 server components installed.
  • TomHodson wrote:
    Hi Tom,

I have been able to successfully connect to a server that doesn't have the v4 server components installed.

but still can't connect to the servers that already have sql backup components on them, and these are the important ones.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Are there no log entries generated when you attempt to connect? I'm concerned that you're only looking for log files that pertain to the error. I wouldn't know exactly what to look for, but they probably won't include any of the error text that you see in SQL Backup. They probably say something about a buffer overrun or something like that.
  • Are there no log entries generated when you attempt to connect? I'm concerned that you're only looking for log files that pertain to the error. I wouldn't know exactly what to look for, but they probably won't include any of the error text that you see in SQL Backup. They probably say something about a buffer overrun or something like that.

I switched on logging for all connections, restarted one of sql servers and attempted another connection through sql backup. This generated 4 log entries, the messages were as follows:

Using 'xp_sqlbackup.dll' version '0004.00.00' to execute extended stored procedure 'sqbutility'.
    Login succeeded for user '[DOMAIN]\[user]'. Connection: Trusted.
    Using 'xplog70.dll' version '2000.80.2039' to execute extended stored procedure 'xp_msver'.
    Login succeeded for user '[DOMAIN]\[user]'. Connection: Trusted.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Interesting... what happens if you open a query window and connect as the same user you've noted in the error log, and connect to master and run exec xp_msver?

Are there null/no/error results?
  • Interesting... what happens if you open a query window and connect as the same user you've noted in the error log, and connect to master and run exec xp_msver?

Are there null/no/error results?

The only log entries are for the successful connection
  • The problem has been solved (thanks to an email from red gate support). The solution is to manually install the v5 server components on each of the servers using the following executable:

%PROGRAM FILES%\Red Gate\SQL Backup\SQBServerSetup.exe

This needs to be run on each server, but the exe must be the v5 version. I ran mine using a network share.

Once you have upgraded the components, you then need to re-activate the licences using the GUI, otherwise the components will expire after 14 days.