Options

Performance of GUI painfully slow

kbradforkbradfor Posts: 2
edited November 13, 2007 7:22AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I am running SQL Backup 5.2.0.2825 on 2 servers, using it for backups and to implement log shipping between the servers. Both servers are quad processor machines running Windows Server 2003 and SQL server 2005, one with 2 Gig RAM and one with 4 Gig RAM. After upgrading to 5.2, th GUI is extremely slow. It can take 2 minutes to show the 2 servers in the left hand navigation window, and more than 10 minutes in some cases just to list the databases on the local server. Task manager does not show the machine to be stressed in processor, RAM, or disk IO, and I have no log messages related to performance. Is there anything I can try to speed things up?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Hi,
    How much activity history do you have? If you run the following two commands in Management Studio, what values do you get back?
    execute master..sqbdata 'SELECT COUNT(*) FROM backuphistory';
    execute master..sqbdata 'SELECT COUNT(*) FROM restorehistory';

If these values are significant (the total is in excess of 25,000), you may want to consider purging old backup history. This can be done via the options dialog in the GUI.

Also, if you are using the GUI for the first time (new windows account, fresh installation of the GUI - but shouldn't apply to upgrades), it needs to pull in all the activity history, which if the above value is significant this can take a while to perform.

Hope that helps,
    Jason