Ignoring Encrypted Objects

JohnWSaundersIIIJohnWSaundersIII Posts: 3
edited November 7, 2007 1:33PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Since SQL Compare can't read encrypted text on a SQL Server 2005 system, is thee any way to get it to ignore objects with encrypted text? I wanted to compare and sync to a database that has some encrypted stored procedures and triggers, but couldn't do it at all because some were encrypted. I would have liked to be able to update the parts that weren't encrypted.
John Saunders

Comments

• Unfortunately the only way to do this using the GUI right now is to manually uncheck the objects, and uncheck 'include dependancies' in the synchronization wizard when synchronizing the database if any of the objects that you unchecked are in the list. You could probably write something with the Toolkit to do it in a more automated fashion.

I've added this forum topic to the feature request asking for an option to ignore all encrypted objects that can't be decrypted, and we'll seriously consider this feature next time we're adding features to SQL Compare, but I can't promise any timescales for that yet.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Thanks for the reply, Michelle. I'll look forward to it.
    John Saunders
  • Add my strong vote to this one.

Is there a central "feature request" list somewhere that we can vote on or reply to feature/fix requests? It seems like there must be, but I feel dumb for not being able to find it...
  • We keep an internal feature request list (which I've just added your name to against this feature) but there's no public access to it - we just keep it updated from forum posts and emails that we receive. You might be interested in the SQL Compare 7 survey stickied at the top of the forum, which will let you express this kind of thing in a more formal way.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software