Document Formats

David AtkinsonDavid Atkinson Posts: 1,431 Rose Gold 2
edited September 25, 2008 1:43PM in SQL Doc Previous Versions
SQL Doc 1.2 currently supports the following output formats:

- HTML with frames
- HTML without frames
- Microsoft HTML Help (.CHM)

I would like to know if there any other formats which you would like to see SQL Doc support in the next version. If so, please post your requests on this thead or email your specific requirements to david.atkinson at red-gate.com.

Thanks,

David Atkinson
Product Manager
Red Gate Software
David Atkinson
Product Manager
Redgate Software

Comments

• David,

Could I possibly suggest PDF (with hotlinks) ? We use Sharepoint as a repository, and we find PDF much better to put in to Sharepoint.
  • David,

Either PDF or word format would be great. We to are using a portal to store our documention and the current formats available are difficult to work with in this situation.

Thank you,

George
    George Govantes MCITP Database Administrator, MCDBA
    Database Administrator Architect
    The Planet
  • David, I'll 2nd Word as well!
  • PDF and Word would be great.
  • PDF would be brilliant to print and give to clients (we know they won't read it, but a heavy binder ticks a box!)
    Tim Hobbs
  • Hello,

We use a wiki to hold all our documentation. Being able to output the documentation as wiki-ready pdf or jpg files would save us lots of time.

Thanks.
  • having it in a web format (html variants) seems to lead itself to having an option to build a Reporting Services set of reports ... ?

(if you can sort out the data output I would be quite interested in taking a look at building the report solution with you)

Senior DBA
    Careers South West Ltd
  • Right, two things:

one - i have just tried looking for the .chm option and dont have it - is it command line option only?

two - thanks very much for wasting 20 minutes of my time while i complete the picture puzzle easter egg!!!!!

seriously. great products made by a great team.

i'd be lost without them

Jonathan

PS the photo is from 2005....

<EDIT>

found the .chm answer in the SQL Doc help pages. but maybe a link to the microsoft download centre in there to speed things up?

cheers J

Senior DBA
    Careers South West Ltd
  • :idea:
    If you used and supplied intermediate XML files and customisable XSLT files to generate the HTML files (and hpp and index files) - then the more experimental among us could play with :

a) custom properties
    b) custom html files and
    c) custom contents tree (maybe I want my tables to be grouped by schema?)

That would allow me to tick all the boxes for what I want from a SQL DB Documentation tool.

Otherwise a fantastic simple-to-use tool.

Make it so - please?!? :)
    Alex Weatherall
    TeleWare.com