SQL Compare and VSS

dhay1999dhay1999 Posts: 4
edited October 25, 2007 11:00AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Does anyone have a "how to" write up on using SQL Compare with VSS?

TIA!

David

Comments

• Hi,

The first article on this is a white paper which may help. What exactly would you like to find out?

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Thanks, I found that earlier. I've used VSS in the past briefly for VB projects. I'm just wondering how the check-out/check-in methodoligy works. Say for instance I checkout the entire Database, but only change 3 procedures. When I check it back in, will all items show newer versions? Also, We have numerous servers for Dev, QA and Production. What would be the process with VSS to promote a DB from one to the next using the scripts as a single source?
    Hi,

The first article on this is a white paper which may help. What exactly would you like to find out?

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • David AtkinsonDavid Atkinson Posts: 1,431 Rose Gold 2
    edited October 11, 2007 12:59PM
    'Sensible' source control systems shouldn't check in a 'new' version if nothing has changed in the checked out file. I've just tried with VSS v8.0.5 and a checkout and checkin without changes doesn't check in a newer version. I'm guessing it does a silent 'revert'/'undo checkout'.

Next week (or shortly afterwards) we will be releasing SQL Compare 6.2 Pro. This will integrate with VSS and TFS, allowing your modified object files to be auto-checked out as part of the synchronization process, saving you the effort of doing this manually via your source control UI. Accompanying the release there will be documentation detailing how this process works.

In the meantime you can either identify the specific object files you that represent the objects you are modifying, or check out the entire scripts folder. I would advise you to 'test' this process if you could potentially disrupt other source control users by checking out more files than you need to!

Hope this helps,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Thanks for the insight as well as the heads up on the new release. I'll look for that coming next week sometime. I've looked at many of the sync managers and the red-gate product is the only one that has caught procedures that have been renamed, which we do alot here it seems. I'll see what I can do to get VSS up and established, then see where the new release takes us.

Thanks again!

David Hay
  • Any update on when the release will be out? Looking forward to it.
  • My apologies for the delay. SQL Compare 6.2 is due out imminently (and by this, I mean in the next few days). We're really keen to iron out as many of the little niggles as possible before the final release.

Thank you for your patience!

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • SQL Changeset has now been released as part of SQL Compare 6.2 Pro.
    This provides integration between SQL Compare and source control when synching from a live database to a source-controlled scripts folder. The supported source control systems are VSS and TFS, although other SCCI-compliant systems may also work.

Check for Updates should provide you with a link to the upgrade.

Please post your feedback to the forum

Thanks,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Awesome!! There are some small quirks so far, but overall very good first step.

I love the separate utility of the ChangeSet Utility. I like the fact that it is separate because I can see this integrating with SQL Prompt at some point and having a developer version that when they open up a database object it also automatically opens up the Source Control object from the same area. (OK, I'm stretching here a bit, but it got me thinking).

The ChangeSet seems a bit slow at times. I have learned I need to be patient and let it do whatever it is doing. I can learn to live with that, though.

Good first step.
  • Thanks for your kind words. We intentionally made this a separate application in order to future proof it in the way you describe. Having full integration in which an object can be checked out from Management Studio itself is an extremely exciting prospect. Likewise, allowing lookup data to be stored in source control as DML alongside the schema is something we could also consider.

Please let us know where the performance issues are so we can attempt to reproduce them inhouse and improve it in future releases?

Thanks,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software