"Too Many Files" error message.

chris sampsonchris sampson Posts: 38
edited May 20, 2005 10:04AM in Aardvark
Hi Jason,

May I ask, was anything put in your event logs at the time that this problem occured? Could you let me know what there is if so?
Chris Sampson
Support Engineer
Red Gate Software

Comments

• Hi Jason,

Could you let us know the exact text for the error message and any numbers etc. associated with it.
    Chris Sampson
    Support Engineer
    Red Gate Software
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Jason,

From the Aardvark code it looks like there may be a potential problem if you have more than one entry in the attachments table for the same attachment on the same bug.

Maybe you can find out by running a query in the Aardvark database to find the records for the attachment:
    SELECT * FROM Attachments WHERE CompanyID=<your company ID, from the Companies table> AND RecordID=<bug id>

Hi Jason,

You can have many files with the same file name attached to an issue because the real 'physical' file name is a GUID. I've tested this bit and it works. It must be some system problem.
    Hi Jason,

Do the filenames have speces in them? Maybe it would help to change download.asp so that the content-disposition header it sends is embedded in quotes.
    Hi Jason,

I've given up on the assumption that it's ASP, IIS or Aardvark that is throwing the error and concentrated on Visual Basic. 'Too Many Files' is a VB error (error number 67) that seems to hark back to the DOS days when you had to specify how many open files you could have at one time in your config.sys. I don't see how this applies to Windows 2003, but maybe the suggestions in the technet article help?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... yFiles.asp
    Hi Jason,

I had a feeling this wouldn't work (unless you run DOS!). How about updating your Visual Basic Runtime and see if that helps? There could be a problem with the VB Runtime installation. Here is a link where you can download the VB 6.0 SP5 archive:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en
    Just to confirm, the solution to this problem was to update the VB Runtime (VBRUN60.dll). This eliminated the 'too many open files' error for two occurrances of this problem.
This discussion has been closed.