Options

Backup & Restore between different versions

sk75sk75 Posts: 3
edited October 25, 2007 5:36AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,
Does SQL Backup help in backing up the database differentialy from one version(2000) and restoring the differentials to another version (2005)?

Please do let me know..

Sk

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    In terms of backing up and restoring between different versions of SQL Server, whatever you can do using SQL Server backups, you can do the same with SQL Backup backups.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Thank you Peter for the reply. The problem i have with SQL Server way of backing and restoring is that, SQL Server 2005 doesnt allow me to put the Db in standby mode(which would help me apply more differentials) while restoring a db from a different version and the NoRecovery option accepts more differentials but makes the database unusable. I want it to atleast be in a Read-Only mode(Standby) so that i can apply more differentials and at the same time use the DB for my reporting purposes....

Regards
    Sukesh
  • Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    That's a SQL Server requirement. SQL Backup cannot work around that requirement.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8