Problems with Restore

schoogieschoogie Posts: 10
edited October 29, 2007 12:43AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I have a database that is backed up each night at 12am. After the backup (on server 1), the backup is restored to a test server (server 2). Sometimes it fails and I’m not sure as to why. Rerunning the job in the morning when I get in it works fine. So I’m unsure as to why it is failing. Here is the error that RedGate is displaying. I was hoping for more as these seem to be very general errors:

Thread 0 Error:
File read error for 152135 bytes. Backup file is incomplete or corrupted.

SQL error 3013

SQL error 3241

---

I suspect the problem is coming from the network or the SANs but don't see anything in the event log or in the SQL log. Is there anywhere I can get some more specific information?

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    SQL Backup generates a log file for each process. The default folder for these log files is <system drive>:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\<instance name>. You should be able to find a log file for the restore job that failed, that might contain more information.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Here is the log of the error message generated during the problem. The backup that produced this file to restore was complete almost half an hour before the restore started. Rerunning the job in the morning when I came in the office and it worked fine. Any idea why this error is occuring? I'm assuming since I can restore the exact same file later in the day it's not a problem with the backup file.

SQL Backup log file
    10/24/2007 12:40:02 AM: Restoring DevDB (database) from:
    10/24/2007 12:40:02 AM: \\productiondb\Backup\PRODUCTIONPROD\FULL_(local)_PRODUCTIONPROD_20071024.sqb

10/24/2007 12:40:02 AM: RESTORE DATABASE [DevDB] FROM DISK = '\\productiondb\Backup\PRODUCTIONPROD\FULL_(local)_PRODUCTIONPROD_20071024.sqb' WITH RECOVERY, MOVE 'DCRef_Data' TO 'F:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\DEVDB_Data.MDF', MOVE 'DCRef_Log' TO 'L:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\LOG\DEVDB_log.LDF', REPLACE

10/24/2007 12:52:43 AM: Thread 0 error:
    File read error for 152135 bytes (balance 15694 bytes). Backup file is incomplete or corrupted.

SQL error 3013: SQL error 3013: RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
    SQL error 3241: SQL error 3241: The media family on device 'SQLBACKUP_AF9725EF-D653-4ED6-8683-C5BCABF016E4' is incorrectly formed. SQL Server cannot process this media family.
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Yes, it does appear that SQL Backup failed to read the file in its entirety. Would it be possibe to first copy the file to the test server, and then restore it?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8