creating a CHM

For some reason, I can no longer create a CHM help file. I have the latest version of the software but there are only two alternative output styles in the options dialog box. HTML with frames and HTML without frames.

The helpfile says 'To create database documentation in compiled HTML Help format (.chm), change this setting to Microsoft HTML Help (.CHM). Note that you must have Microsoft® HTML Help Workshop installed on your computer to create a .chm file; a free download is available from the Microsoft Download Centre.'. It used to work: now it doesn't.

Comments

• This is indeed strange. I've just tried on a clean setup and after installing the HTML Help Workshop (htmlhelp.exe) component, and restarting SQL Doc 1.2, the .CHM option correctly appears in the list of Documentation Style options.

Are you saying that it used to be in this list, and now it's gone? Or you've installed a new instance of SQL Doc and upon installing the HTML Help Workshop the option is not appearing as expected?

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Yes, I have the HTML Help Workshop installed, the CHM option was on the list and has now vanished. I didn't install a new version of SQL Doc unless the installer did it for me without telling me. It is v 1.2. It has cheerfully done CHM files in the past! The only change I know of is that I registered it (it had been on 15 days when it worked)
  • This is a strange one. We've not had this reported by anyone else. Have you tried reinstalling the HTML Help Workshop?

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Hmmm...
    I tried various things. Eventually, I just ran the HTML Help Workshop, and tried various activities with it just to convince myself it was fully working.

Then SQL Doc suddenly decided it knew about CHM files.....

My guess is that a registry entry got changed by some process and HTML Help Workshop then changed it back when I fired it up.

For the next release, it might be better to change the user interface to give a warning message that CHM output is not available because it can't detect the HTML Help Workshop, rather than just removing it from the listbox. It's such an irritating design. I hate it when options are disabled, greyed out or removed without any way of finding out why. You may know why, but the PBU sure doesn't. Point and click then becomes stab and curse.
  • We most definitely need to make the saving to .chm functionality more obvious. I'm convinced that a significant proportion of SQL Doc users don't know it exists! I've appended your comments to the existing issue in our bug tracking system and hopefully this will be rectified in the next release.

Thanks,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • I have installed HTML Help Workshop and had Red-Gate Doc installed prior. I do not have the option to save as a CHM file. I need this option to be available.. How do I get it?
  • Hi Penny,

You're doing the right thing. It should appear alongside the HTML options when you've installed the Help Workshop. What version of SQL Doc are you using? (in Help/About)

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • I have version 1.2.0.30 , I just reinstalled the HTML Workshop and I now I have the option under Options | Documentation Style.
  • Strange - it should have worked the first time! Let us know if you come across any further problems.

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software