Install on 64 bit cluster-SQL BAckup 5.1.0.2781

randyjrandyj Posts: 48
edited October 5, 2007 12:01PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Troubles with this -
While trying to install on my w2k3R2 64 bit DB server, the install seems to have been successful.
I used the SQBServerSetup.exe file copied to my server to install.
However, when I connect from my GUI (on a different box), I get an error
"A problem was encountered whilst communicating with the server

'Failed to initialize local data store: The path is not valid. check the directory for the database. [Path=c:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data\(LOCAL)\data.sdf"

The program actually installed on my DB server into the 'Program Files (x86)' folder. Can I change the path in the GUI program, or get this to work in any other fashion ? Seems like this may be 64 bit aware, but not 64 bit native ?

Pretty much dead in the water here.

Comments

• Exploring a bit further -
    I changed the REG Key ( \\HKLM\WOW6432Node\RedGate\SQLBackup\BackupSettingsGlobal\(LOCAL) on my DB server to reflect the correct install path-
    c:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data\(LOCAL)

Still getting the error- because the 'data.sdf' wasn't installed on the server.

What gives ?
  • Trying to run various operations with this (semi) install..
    Latest (and of course... most critical) is this

master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "RESTORE DATABASE [xxxxxx]
    FROM DISK = ''\\10.1.3.32\Backup\Database\FromFP\FULL_xxxxxx_20070923_132938.sqb''
    WITH RECOVERY,
    REPLACE,
    PASSWORD = ''xxxxxxxx''"'

Which gets me this reply ....

Warning 400: Failed to initialize local data store: The path is not valid. Check the directory for the database. [Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data\(LOCAL)\data.sdf]

No gui, no SQL command line, no love
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Was the 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data\(LOCAL)' folder created? If not, please check if the SQL Backup Agent service startup user has rights to create folders/files in the 'C:\Program Files (x86)' folder.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Peter -
    The 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data\(LOCAL)' folder was created, and several files were copied:
    SQBCoreService.exe
    SQLBackupC.exe
    unins000.dat
    unins000.exe
    zlib1.dll
    no 'data.sdf' file, however.

as well as a subfolder (x64) with one file:
    xp_sqlbackup.dll
    When the SQL Backup Agent service first starts, it attemps to create a SQL Server Compact Edition database, to store the backup/restore history data. On a clustered instance, it will try to create this file in the <drive>\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data\<instance name> folder, where <drive> represents the drive where the SQL Server data files are stored. This allows different nodes in the cluster to access the same database.

This path is then stored in the registry, in the DataPath value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\<instance name>\.

Could you please check if there is a DataPath entry in the registry, under the above node? Could you also please check if there is a data.sdf file in the folder described above?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Pete -
    See the first two messages in this thread -
    When I initially installed, I was getting the error:

"Failed to initialize local data store: The path is not valid. check the directory for the database. [Path=c:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data\(LOCAL)\data.sdf"

The program actually installed on my DB server into the 'Program Files (x86)' folder.
    I changed the REG Key ( \\HKLM\WOW6432Node\RedGate\SQLBackup\BackupSettingsGlobal\(LOCAL) on my DB server to reflect the correct install path-
    c:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data\(LOCAL).

There are several files installed there, but NO data.sdf
  • Okjay -
    Still dead in the water.
    I've unistalled, and reinstalled. THe GUI opens, and when I attempt to register the Default instance on the virtual server, I get the error I detailed initially.
    "A problem was encountered whilst communicating with the server

'Failed to initialize local data store: The path is not valid. check the directory for the database. [Path=c:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data\(LOCAL)\data.sdf"

First - yes... it is an invalid path. The software was installed into the
    c:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Backup directory
    Second - it is REALLY an invalid because no such file as 'data.sdf' exists.

So - I'm stuck. I've just sent an email to support asking for assistance, but I've had better luckj in the forums, so I'll try once more.

Thanks !
    Could you please check the DataPath value under the registry node HKLM\Wow6432Node\Software\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\<instance name>? If it exists, what is its value?

Could you also please check if the folder <drive>\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data\<instance name> folder exists, where <drive> represents the drive where the SQL Server data files are stored?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • After my reinstall -
    Registry node HKLM\Wow6432Node\Software\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\<LOCAL> DataPath key exists. It's value is:
    c:\Program files\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data\(LOCAL)

However, no such Path was created on my machine.

Note that prior to doing the reinstallation, I had deleted the Registry Node 'HKLM\Wow6432Node\Software\Red Gate' and everything underneath it.

In fact, during the reinstall, I chose to install on one of the cluster's shared drives, r:\. The program was installed on the shared drive at r:\Red Gate\SQL Backup\(LOCAL), but still... no 'data.sdf' file.
    Was there a C:\Program files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data\(LOCAL) folder created?

I'm surprised at why SQL Backup chose the C:\ drive to store the local daa store, given that this is a clustered instance. In the registry node for SQL Server, what are the values for DefaultData, SQLDataRoot and SQLPath? The last 2 would be found under the \Setup subnode.

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Peter -
    The 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data\(LOCAL)' folder was created, and several files were copied:
    SQBCoreService.exe
    SQLBackupC.exe
    unins000.dat
    unins000.exe
    zlib1.dll
    no 'data.sdf' file, however.

as well as a subfolder (x64) with one file:
    xp_sqlbackup.dll

Note that when asked by the installer, I requested the program be installed on 'R:\', a shared cluster drive.
    Nothing was installed to the 'R:\' drive.

Registry node HKLM\Wow6432Node\Software\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\<LOCAL> DataPath key exists. It's value is:
    c:\Program files\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data\(LOCAL)

SQLDataRoot Key is :
    R:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL

SQLPath Key is:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL

No 'DefaultData' Key exists, on either of two seperate, similar installations
    Try the following:

- remove the DataPath entry from HKLM\Software\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\(LOCAL)

- bounce the SQL Backup Agent service

What is the new DataPath value in the registry?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Presumably, you're referring to :
    the DataPath entry from HKLM\Wow6432Node\Software\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\(LOCAL) ?

Removing thvalue from this Key, and restarting the Backup service results in the value being re-written as:

'C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data\(LOCAL)'
  • Okay -
    Would this be helped by walking through an uninstall / reinstall together ?

It's been more than a week without any meaningful assistance or suggestions, and I REALLY don't have much more time to spend on this. I need these servers up and running. Given that compressed / encrypted backups are a MUST for my environment, I will need to begin looking for other tools.

I opened an 'official' support case (F0007044) on this a week ago, I've been participating here as frequently as I can, and I'm no closer to working services than I was.

What more can I do ?