Save settings to a template

RStellaRStella Posts: 5
edited September 25, 2007 10:32AM in SQL Data Compare Previous Versions
One of the enhancements that was available as far back as version 1.60 was the ability to create a template. Where is this feature in the new version

Comments

• Thanks for your post.

There is the facility within SQL Data Compare 5 to clone an existing project. This will be effectively be using an already created project file as a template for a new project.

You can clone you projects by either clicking the 'create clone' button on the comparisons project screen, or on the same screen right-click the project and select 'create clone'.

I hope this answers your question.
    Chris
  • Thanks for your response however I am aware of the clone function. That is not what I am trying to find out. You use to be able to save a template to a text file and run it. Also, you could change some settings like the IP address and database name.
    We have over 200 locations that we monitor and this tool was invaluable. The file extension was SDC if that helps.
  • Hi,

If you've got the Professional edition of Data Compare, you have access to the command line interface - SQLDataCompare.exe. This can take a project file (.sdc, as you say) as a parameter and run the comparison and synchronization.

I believe that the project files are stored in "%Documents and Settings%\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Data Compare 5", so you should find all your .sdc files there.

If you open them in a text editor, you'll also find that they're XML - so you should be able to tweak the odd parameter (though this isn't officially supported, I think ;)).

For more information on the command line, have a look at the command line interface in the web help.

Hope that helps,
    Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate
  • I am trying to utilize the command line function as you descirbe and it is not workinig. I am getting the following error message:
    Error: Unrecognised XML document type (unrecognised root element): Project.
    Please use SQLDataCompare.exe /? or SQLDataCompare.exe /verbose /? for more
    information.

This is the command I used:

C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Data Compare 5>sqldatacompare /argfile:"C:\wrbfm03
    rts.RTS_UnPublished v ROBINS.RTS 14-06-2006.08-12-05.6386.sdc"
  • Hi,

The /argfile switch is for a slightly different XML argument file - essentially an XML version of the command line arguments. In order to use a project file from the GUI, you need the /project switch:

sqldatacompare /project:"C:\wrbfm03
    rts.RTS_UnPublished v ROBINS.RTS 14-06-2006.08-12-05.6386.sdc"

Hope that helps,
    Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate
  • I believe that will work thanks for your help