Unable to Connect to SQL Server while using sqlservr -c

schowgtlschowgtl Posts: 5
edited September 18, 2007 9:59PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Is it possible to open 5.1 while SQL Server is in console mode (>sqlservr -c) as I did in previous versions?

We routinely 'clone' servers by restoring the master and other databases' backups from one server to a new server that needs the same database structure. After restoring the master database with SQL Backup versions 3.2 and 4.6, I would start SQL Server in console mode (sqlservr -c) open SQLBackup and restore the suspect databases with the backups from the source server. Recently, we installed SQL Backup 5.1 on a server and now need to create a clone of it. Problem is I am unable to connect to the server while it is in console mode. The error I receive is 'Error opening mutex.' What does this mean?

The server is running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition in conjuction with SQL Server 2000 Enterprise x64 8.0.2039 and SQL Backup 5.1.0.2781.

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Are there any more messages after the 'Error opening mutex' message e.g. 'Access is denied' etc?

If so, the error would mean that the SQL Backup extended stored procedure could not communicate with the SQL Backup service due to permission issues. Most common reason would be that the user that is logged on, that is starting the SQL Server in console mode, is different from the installed SQL Server service startup user. SQL Backup grants rights only to the SQL Server service startup user to access its internal objects.

So you can either log on as the SQL Server service startup user before starting the SQL Server in console mode, or change the SQL Server service startup user in the 'Services' control panel before starting SQL Server, and change it back again to its original value once you're done running SQL Server in console mode.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8